• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter wants to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yeah ..I know. Micky with the 4pack of wine-coolers and box of condoms...going to "hook up" with a 13 year old girl.;)

But again...Does anyone one see this situation as a traincrash??
:confused:

I'll be honest - yeah, I think this might well be a train wreck. But we're standing next to the tracks and there really isn't much we can do to stop the train.

(Wow...that was deep!)

maneki

Thank you all for the info. Nothing has been set in stone at this point, just getting info. I honestly don't expect this to be anymore of a train wreck than when a kid moves out at 18. My daughter is much more mature and responsible than most kids I know that are older than her and already on their own. And if the situation breaks down it's not like she wouldn't be allowed home again, she would have a support system. I do honestly believe this is a good opportunity for her though. Will it happen? I don't know yet. If I decide to let her do it I have my own criteria before I'll let her go (such as successfully passing the GED test). But this at least lets me know that it's something we can look further into. I appreciate the help.

IBlandlady

What about legal emancipation? Does that remove her from health care coverage?

As for moving out to live with a 22 year old. It sure has its darker implications, but one more year and how different is the maturity. I moved out at 17. The only emancipation in those days was marriage. It was no bed of roses, but I got into a lot less trouble at 17 than I did at 21! I was not mature. Maybe this 22 year old is.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The 17yo would need to be self-supporting, for one. It does not appear she would be. So that's a non-starter.

As for moving out to live with a 22 year old. It sure has its darker implications, but one more year and how different is the maturity. I moved out at 17. The only emancipation in those days was marriage. It was no bed of roses, but I got into a lot less trouble at 17 than I did at 21! I was not mature. Maybe this 22 year old is.
Okay - color me stupid. WHAT "darker implications" do you mean? Mean, nefarious (female) cousin is luring poor, innocent, sheltered 17yo into a life of booze, drugs, and illicit sex? All of which she likely has knowledge of and access to right there in her hometown.

OP - I wouldn't have a problem with it, myself. I would want some ground rules set (mostly revolving around lines of communication), and I'm sure there would be some nervous moments, but I'd be okay with it overall if your daughter is anything like my kids were at 17. Best of luck to all three of you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Under the ACA, the parent has the absolute right to continue to cover their child until that child's 26th birthday. Doesn't matter if the child is emancipated; doesn't matter if the child is a student; doesn't matter if the child is married. The parent MUST be allowed to cover their child until age 26.

And I don't see why this should be any more of a trainwreck than if it happened a few months later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">