• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead famous person's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ambermiau

Dear all,

I was wondering if it's legal to use the name of a dead famous person in the following situation:

I would like to write a short story from the perspective of for example Elvis Presley or Jimi Hendrix. So the story would be written from 'heaven' and it would have the name signed of the famous person. I would like to sell it as well (worldwide) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to? Of course I would say it's a fictive story but can I make money from something like this using a famous dead person's name in this situation?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dear all,

I was wondering if it's legal to use the name of a dead famous person in the following situation:

I would like to write a short story from the perspective of for example Elvis Presley or Jimi Hendrix. So the story would be written from 'heaven' and it would have the name signed of the famous person. I would like to sell it as well (worldwide) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to? Of course I would say it's a fictive story but can I make money from something like this using a famous dead person's name in this situation?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
US Law Only -

Here in the US, the folks that run Elvis' estate wouldn't be too keen on that idea ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">