• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with debt collection for medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GiorgioP

Several months ago my daughter saw a doctor for several appointments and I disputed some of the charges (I can provide more explanation if needed). So i paid the doctor bills only partially, not paying for the charges that I disputed.

Now they passed those to a debt collector who contacted me. It is a fairly small amount ($280) which I could settle, but I want to fight because I think it is not right.
I replied to the debt collector with a Response Letter, which I found online. I requested the following:

1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
  2. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
  3. An itemized breakdown with the service type, date of services and corresponding amounts of what you claim the money is owed for
  4. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
  5. Proof that the Statute of Limitations has not expired
  6. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed
  7. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
  8. Your license numbers and Registered Agent

The debt collector responded by sending me only a breakdown of the charges (so basically item 3) but he failed to respond to any of the other requests.
How do you suggest me to proceed?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Several months ago my daughter saw a doctor for several appointments and I disputed some of the charges (I can provide more explanation if needed). So i paid the doctor bills only partially, not paying for the charges that I disputed.

Now they passed those to a debt collector who contacted me. It is a fairly small amount ($280) which I could settle, but I want to fight because I think it is not right.
I replied to the debt collector with a Response Letter, which I found online. I requested the following:

1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
  2. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
  3. An itemized breakdown with the service type, date of services and corresponding amounts of what you claim the money is owed for
  4. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
  6. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed

The debt collector responded by sending me only a breakdown of the charges (so basically item 3) but he failed to respond to any of the other requests.

Thanks
The debt collector provided the information that is required. Because $280 is a small amount to you, it might be better to just pay the bill, but it's your hill.

quincy

Thanks
You could wait to be sued and let the agency support the charges in court, or you can try to negotiate a fair settlement before you are sued.

At the top of the Debt Collection forum is a “Sticky Note” thread written by TigerD, a former debt collection agency owner and now attorney, on negotiating with a debt collector (see “How to Negotiate a Settlement”).

zddoodah

Several months ago my daughter saw a doctor for several appointments and I disputed some of the charges
I'll assume your daughter is a minor, but you should confirm that.

So i paid the doctor bills only partially, not paying for the charges that I disputed.
What about medical insurance?

The debt collector responded by sending me only a breakdown of the charges (so basically item 3) but he failed to respond to any of the other requests. How do you suggest me to proceed?
Most of the stuff you requested is pointless. For example, no one has to prove to you that the statute of limitations has expired. If you think it has expired, then the burden is on you to prove it. If you have a valid, substantive dispute, then feel free to maintain your position and/or offer a compromise to avoid further hassle. If not, pay the bill or turn it over to your medical insurance. Keep in mind that, while you might not get sued, the debt might get reported and do harm to your credit score.

quincy

What is the name of your state, GiorgioP?

If it has only been “months” since your daughter last saw the doctor, the statute of limitations on collection of the debt would not have passed yet. The limitation periods for written debts vary from state to state but range from the minimum of 3 years to a maximum of 10 years (in most states it is 6 years).

GiorgioP

Thanks for all your answers.
Yes, my daughter is a minor. We are in Illinois, services took place 2 yrs ago.

quincy

Thanks for all your answers.
Yes, my daughter is a minor. We are in Illinois, services took place 2 yrs ago.
In Illinois, a debt collector has 10 years to collect on a medical debt. Because this debt is not going to go away anytime soon, you probably should try to negotiate with the collector.

quincy

One positive is that GiorgioP’s medical debt is under $500 so it should not appear on any of his credit reports (unless he paid by credit card and the debt is reported as a credit card debt).

As a note, Governor Pritzker has in his proposed budget for the next fiscal year the erasure of more than $1 billion in medical debt for Illinois residents. This won’t help with GiorgioP’s current $280 debt but it could make for a nicer future for many living in Illinois.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">