• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death And Taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

INeedHelp82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I don't know where to ask this question, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum.
Well in short my mother passed away 3 months ago, and all she left behind was debt and no assets. Amongst the debt was the IRS. She was on a payment plan, paying 100 a month. Who's responsibility is it to pay her back taxes? I know these IRS ppl are going to want their money. I haven't even filed her last years taxes, cause i know she's going to owe more money. Can they make, me her son pay?

anteater

You are not responsible for your mother's debts unless you somehow signed something to obligate yourself.

If she truly had no assets, then the creditors are out of luck.

LdiJ

You are not responsible for your mother's debts unless you somehow signed something to obligate yourself.

If she truly had no assets, then the creditors are out of luck.
And that includes the IRS.

They will get notice from the social security administration that she is deceased.

INeedHelp82

Cool. Ty. For the info. Also if she was still married but seperated for 5 yrs and filed seperate taxes can they ask him to pay her taxes?

LdiJ

Cool. Ty. For the info. Also if she was still married but seperated for 5 yrs and filed seperate taxes can they ask him to pay her taxes?
No, they cannot ask him to pay her taxes either, unless any of the back taxes came from a joint return, and then it would only be the taxes from the joint return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">