• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death of ex-trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnkbell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My mother & father-in-law have a living trust. Recently, she was deemed incapacitated, vacating her trustee position, and he decided because of age issues to resign as trustee, so their daughter, my wife, was assigned successor trustee by him. The trust is under his SS number.

He passed away on Saturday. I am contacting their attorney for directions, but I'd like some info.

Being that my wife is trustee, and currently we are leaving the trust intact, will we have conflicts because of his SS# on trust with tax issues and other issues now that he is deceased.

Could anyone possibly inform me on what steps we should be taking at this point.

curb1

Your mother-in-law still has access to the assets in the trust as managed by your wife, the successor trustee. These trust assets may, or may not, produce income. The income will be reported on MILs tax forms just as before the death of FIL. There might be more to this depending on what you have omitted concerning the type of trust, trust language and how assets were titled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">