• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deducting pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vermilionlady

I am in Ohio, I was injured on a Wednesday at the close of my shift I was taken by ambulance;
I asked my boss about my pay when the dr put me out of work. he was clueless
I called Worker’s Comp representative. She explained it all to me, she said there were two options of me getting paid, they can choose to pay “Salary continuance” or it can be claimed with worker’s comp where they pay my salary. She was the one who gave me a name from my home office to see how they deal with incidents like this. So for the first three weeks, I left at least eight messages with the lady, with no return call. Finally worker’s comp called me and told me the same thing that the home office was not returning their several calls.

I called my boss and explained to him and ask him if he can make a few calls to get this resolved. He gave me 2 other names to call and gave me an attitude like I was bothering him! Finally Worker’s Comp was able to get a hold of someone at the home office and got the answer that they paid me the first week, which was actually 2 weeks.

Now that all that was resolved and I was now getting some pay to live, Workers comp now could not get a hold of anyone from the home office to approve my injury. So for five weeks I was stuck at home in tremendous pain, on very dangerous pain pills, which may I add; I am having a hard time getting off. Finally someone sent ONE email and poof, it was approved and I was able to get my surgery in less than a week. I am in physical therapy now, very painful. Now I find out, the last paycheck I received from my work, I have to pay a portion of it back and they took my vacation time from me!! I’m sorry but this was not a vacation, not even close. The injury happened there!! I do not feel that this is fair !!
Now I am back at work and I get a call from my district manager saying that there have been complaints about my work(I travel the district training as well as work at my store, which i havent trained for 6 months before my injury!) He wants to have a meeting over this...
NOW...I receive my first paycheck back and they deducted 14 weeks (how long i was out) of medical insurance payments! almost half my check! Can they leagally do this?? I thought all this time I had no regular insurance because I wasnt working due to no deductions taken out!

Should I get a laywer? I think they are trying to get rid of me!
What kind of lawyer? Can someone help please?

Redridertu

I do not have knowledge of Ohio worker comp, But I do know my states workers comp regulations. If I were you I would start with the Labor Comission. In my state you have the right to request an appeal. If your injury was work related, I don't understand how you would have to pay, especially to your employer(I certainly hope that isn't Ohio law). I think I would get a personal injury lawyer, at least for consultation to find out what your rights are. Your labor commission can help you, and I would talk to them before I speak to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">