• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deducting Uniforms on California Return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state?California

We take the standard deduction on both state and federal tax returns.

If my wife's (a nurse) uniforms are otherwise deductible, can they still be deducted on a California return if we do the standard deduction or must we itemize?

Thank you

Jay968

While I appreciate the response, I specifically asked about a California return, not a federal return. I believe that both documents which you pointed me to are federal related and have nothing to do with the state.

I have done some research and the best I can tell is that she does qualify in California, but what I am asking is whether this even applies if we take the standard deduction and do not itemize.

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?California

We take the standard deduction on both state and federal tax returns.

If my wife's (a nurse) uniforms are otherwise deductible, can they still be deducted on a California return if we do the standard deduction or must we itemize?

Thank you
Nurse's uniforms are no longer deductible on the federal side of things, even if you itemize. That is one of those employee business expenses that were eliminated under the 2018 tax law changes.

davew9128

Nurse's uniforms are no longer deductible on the federal side of things, even if you itemize. That is one of those employee business expenses that were eliminated under the 2018 tax law changes.
They are still allowable in California, which is what the OP was asking.

Jay968

What about union dues. Federal?? California?? Is this part of that 2018 tax law or can union dues be deducted in California and/or on the federal return?

Also, here too...if union dues ARE deductible, am I correct in assuming that we must itemize to do so? My wife keeps telling me she knows of people who take the standard deduction but still deduct union dues. Is this possible?

Thank you

davew9128 - I already got a "you must itemize" response so I assume your comment isn't really relevant. Correct?

LdiJ

What about union dues. Federal?? California?? Is this part of that 2018 tax law or can union dues be deducted in California and/or on the federal return?

Also, here too...if union dues ARE deductible, am I correct in assuming that we must itemize to do so? My wife keeps telling me she knows of people who take the standard deduction but still deduct union dues. Is this possible?

Thank you

davew9128 - I already got a "you must itemize" response so I assume your comment isn't really relevant. Correct?
On a federal level no, you cannot deduct union dues anymore and they were itemized deductions prior to 2018. I cannot answer regarding California.

davew9128

Correct with regards to what? OBVIOUSLY you need to itemize in California if you want to deduct itemized deductions. Federal law has nothing to do with that, which is what so many prior responses were answering, and not really helping you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">