• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamination of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NC

I will start off by saying I am probably not posting this in the correct place, but here goes:

I heard about a job opening from one of our billards teammates, Scott. Scott informed me he could give him a recommendation since he worked there for over a year.

A week later I made a comment about Scott's billard playing abilities that apparently he did not like. Scott then made false statements about me during the review of my application. Scott told his managers that I physically abuse my wife.

When I was interviewed they did actually question me about it and revealed Scotts allegations. Is this defamination of character? Do I have a case against Scott?

PS. I guess it is no secret Scott is a raging alcoholic even at his work place and the management says they will not hold this allegation against me when considering me for the job, but I still want to take action, legal was not my first choice.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

SINCITY89103 said:
What is the name of your state? NC

I will start off by saying I am probably not posting this in the correct place, but here goes:

My friend David heard about a job opening from one of our billards teammates, Scott. Scott informed David he could give him a recommendation since he worked there for over a year.

A week later David made a comment about Scott's billard playing abilities that apparently he did not like. Scott then made false statements about David during the review of his application. Scott told his managers that David physically abuses his wife.

Knowing the couple I know how ridculous this is, but when interviewed they did actually question David about it and revealed Scotts allegations. Is this defamination of character? Does David have a case against Scott?

PS. I guess it is no secret Scott is a raging alcoholic even at his work place and the management says they will not hold this allegation against David when considering him for the job, but he still wants to take action, legal was not his first choice.
If david wants a legal opinion then tell him to come here. It's hard enough to offer VALID advice on one-sided stories. Impossible when the one-side is third party.

Hmm...okay

Okay, can you offer advice to the situation outlined, not to David. I mean I do have an actual account for what happened, I was there for the entire thing, please humor me. :D

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but at the moment just for fun let's pretend I'm David, what would your advice be?

Ps. Do people on these forums EVER tell the story exactly how things have happened? Things are always left out, twisted, misconstrued, even fabricated. So what differemce does it make that this is third party? You have enough information to give VALIDATED advice don't you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">