• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Judgement from a Different State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ithr

I've been getting contacted by a lawyer they hired in California. They said they have a judgement filed in California and will levy my wage if I don't pay them.

justalayman

have you told them you have had the Oregon judgment their judgment is based on set aside?

Do you know if they have actually obtained a judgment in California? Has it been filed for?

ithr

The judgment was just set aside yesterday. Should I tell them? It seems like the more I try to talk to them the more they try to garnish wages and attack my bank accounts. Like they want to get to it before it gets thrown out.

They tried to garnish wages in Oregon and they send it to the company a California. They tried many banks already. When I tried to contact them to find out what it's for they filed the judgment in California.

I called the court and I can see it online that it is filed. The court here said they haven't filed papers showing that they have served me yet. And they haven't served me.

Last edited:

justalayman

like I said, I'm not sure about having to serve you before they can act on it since it really isn't a new judgment so to speak but merely allowing the judgment from Oregon to be enforced in California. If they do not have to actually serve you before then can initiate actions to garnish, they may get your money before you can stop them if you do not act proactively.

I would file an action with the courts to seek to have this California judgment set aside due to the judgment it is based on as been set aside.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">