• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective Kitchen Cabinets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My kitchen underwent a renovation with Shenandoah cabinets from Lowe’s in 2018. Since then, I've experienced delamination issues with several cabinet doors and panels, and Shenandoah has sent 5 or 6 replacements under their lifetime warranty. I am responsible for finding and covering the costs of professionals to remove the old and install the replacements. The delamination problem continues, and they offered to ship another replacement panel last week.

Additionally, the cabinet box paint is aging unevenly, resulting in some individual boxes becoming discolored and yellowed. The boxes around my kitchen range from close to white to a yellow and dirty appearance. Shenandoah acknowledged this issue seven months ago and agreed to repaint the boxes. They are struggling to schedule someone to do the repainting. As of last week, they are promising it will happen this month.

Assuming that the cabinet boxes are repainted, I am seeking a resolution beyond the ad-hoc replacement of delaminating panels, for which I incur installation costs. It appears to be either a problem with a specific manufacturing run or a broader issue with the product line. Do I have any legal recourse?

quincy

My kitchen underwent a renovation with Shenandoah cabinets from Lowe’s in 2018. Since then, I've experienced delamination issues with several cabinet doors and panels, and Shenandoah has sent 5 or 6 replacements under their lifetime warranty. I am responsible for finding and covering the costs of professionals to remove the old and install the replacements. The delamination problem continues, and they offered to ship another replacement panel last week.

Additionally, the cabinet box paint is aging unevenly, resulting in some individual boxes becoming discolored and yellowed. The boxes around my kitchen range from close to white to a yellow and dirty appearance. Shenandoah acknowledged this issue seven months ago and agreed to repaint the boxes. They are struggling to schedule someone to do the repainting. As of last week, they are promising it will happen this month.

Assuming that the cabinet boxes are repainted, I am seeking a resolution beyond the ad-hoc replacement of delaminating panels, for which I incur installation costs. It appears to be either a problem with a specific manufacturing run or a broader issue with the product line. Do I have any legal recourse?
Here is a link to the Lifetime Limited Warranty, which is pretty specific on what it does and does not cover:

https://shenandoahcabinetry.com/about/warranty

quincy

AlmostThere, although the warranty says to contact Shenandoah for repairs and replacements - and the company seems to have been good about repairing and replacing your cabinets, even if the repairs and replacement cabinets have not always been so good - I am curious if you have you spoken to anyone at Lowe’s about the problems you have had with the cabinets?

I was reading through some consumer reviews of the cabinets (a lot that criticized the quality and durability of the cabinets) and one reviewer said that Lowe’s was helpful in resolving the issues she’d had.

Yes, you may have legal recourse. Given the ongoing issues, despite warranty replacements, and the persistent defects, you could consider consulting with a consumer protection attorney. Document all communications, delays, and damages. They can advise you on potential legal actions, such as a breach of warranty claim or product liability case against Shenandoah and Lowe's.

quincy

Yes, you may have legal recourse. Given the ongoing issues, despite warranty replacements, and the persistent defects, you could consider consulting with a consumer protection attorney. Document all communications, delays, and damages. They can advise you on potential legal actions, such as a breach of warranty claim or product liability case against Shenandoah and Lowe's.
There does not appear to be a breach of warranty. You can read the warranty and what it covers in the link provided in post #2. Shenandoah appears to be living up to the terms of the warranty.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">