• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of "Ward of the Court.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VSPeck1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In 2007-2008 my grandchildren were removed from their parents' custody by the State and placed in my care for a period of time. There were several court proceeding and the children lived with me pursuant to a court order for 8+ months. My grandson is now trying to get into college and the FAFSA asks if he has ever been in foster care or a ward of the court after he turned 13. He answered yes but now the colleges are asking for documentation. We still have copies of the court documents but before give them to him to submit, I wanted to get your opinion as to whether he should have answered the question as affirmative.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

In 2007-2008 my grandchildren were removed from their parents' custody by the State and placed in my care for a period of time. There were several court proceeding and the children lived with me pursuant to a court order for 8+ months. My grandson is now trying to get into college and the FAFSA asks if he has ever been in foster care or a ward of the court after he turned 13. He answered yes but now the colleges are asking for documentation. We still have copies of the court documents but before give them to him to submit, I wanted to get your opinion as to whether he should have answered the question as affirmative.
From this site http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Wards+of+court:

ward n. 1) a person (usually a minor) who has a guardian appointed by the court to care for and take responsibility for that person. A governmental agency may take temporary custody of a minor for his/her protection and care if the child is suffering from parental neglect or abuse, or has been in trouble with the law. Such a child is a "ward of the court" (if the custody is court-ordered) or a "ward of the state." 2) a political division of a city, much like a council district. (See: guardian)
Under that definition, I believe that the children would fall into that category since the court ordered their placement with you.

single317dad

What they're trying to determine with that question is who is the legally responsible parent(s) and whether the student is classified as Independent or needs to file a Dependency Override, and if the student receives or has received state funds (TANF, etc) in lieu of parental support. Make sure you know for sure who is currently legally responsible for the child now, and communicate that clearly to the financial aid office.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1314/help/fahelp44.htm

http://www.collegegoalri.org/fosterAnswers.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">