• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion and pay decrease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HALA

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I am an employer and due to restructuring two employees have been demoted from a Supervisor position to a lead staff position. With this demotion comes a new job description and pay scale. Can I legally reduce their pay.

P

Pfaffing85690

Unless you work for the mafia, then they might get really ugly :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HALA said:

I am an employer and due to restructuring two employees have been demoted from a Supervisor position to a lead staff position. With this demotion comes a new job description and pay scale. Can I legally reduce their pay.
My response:

Yes, with "Notice".

"Dear employee. You're demoted. With that, comes a decrease in wages. Your new hourly or salary pay scale is $XXX.XX beginning (Date). If you don't like it, then quit."

IAAL

HomeGuru

HALA said:

**A: what makes you think you can't reduce their pay? Are they in a union or collective bargaining entity?

Beth3

Absent a CBA with language to the contrary, yes, you may reduce their pay. The law only requires that you notify the employees of the pay reduction BEFORE they start working any hours at the reduced rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">