• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Destroyed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murphy Pantego

i was hoping to get advice on how to handle my sisters rental situation. Her roommate/boyfriend recently passed away and their cats breeding got out of hand. in the process their side of the duplex was destroyed by the animals. Now my sister is left with an uninhabitable home, no money to fix it, and she's scared to talk to the landlord. We don't think the landlord knows just how bad the place has become as he hasn't been in the property for years. My family thinks it is best for her to claim bankruptcy and move out but dont understand what rights she has or if there is another option? She doesn't want to screw over the landlord anymore than she has but she has no funds to fix the place.
Cleaning it is not an option, even the biohazard cleaning companies have said it can be sterile but you'll never get the smell out without replacing everything.
Thankful for your advice- Texas

tranquility

Let's face it, the landlord is already "screwed over". While he is partially at fault for not making a reasonable inspections, something like this does not develop that quickly and is likely to be thousands or tens of thousands in damages. I'm not sure why bankruptcy is on the table right now as she has no debt until a judgment, but it would be a good idea to consult with a BK attorney to find out rights before a filing that seems may be necessary at some point.

Murphy Pantego

Thank you, I agree, the landlord is already screwed over. We don't know much about bankruptcy, so it's good to know it doesn't have to happen before a claim is made against someone. We will talk with a bankruptcy lawyer, thank you again for the response. Is there anything else we should be thinking of? We've never gone through anything like before.

tranquility

Thank you, I agree, the landlord is already screwed over. We don't know much about bankruptcy, so it's good to know it doesn't have to happen before a claim is made against someone. We will talk with a bankruptcy lawyer, thank you again for the response. Is there anything else we should be thinking of? We've never gone through anything like before.
The main concerns (legally) are how much in assets can be kept and if there is a criminal problem with the amount of animals and their treatment.

Murphy Pantego

Thanks again. The cats have been sheltered at this point, but I don't believe there are any assets left in the home, there is no power or faucets for water, the toilets don't work, and the floors/walls/ceilings are ruined. I believe it would be condemned. Since this is a duplex, I'm concerned she'll be hit with the entire cost of the building. I haven't seen next door, but I have to believe they can smell it and the shared walls are ruined. No one has complained yet and my sister is still paying rent but it's only a matter of time because she's about to lose her job. Sorry for rambling on, just trying to share as much as possible in case it helps. She knows she's in a load of trouble and trying to find a road to redemption. I think it all starts with calling the landlord and asking him to come by. She has lived there for years.. I feel like she owes him that much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks again. The cats have been sheltered at this point, but I don't believe there are any assets left in the home, there is no power or faucets for water, the toilets don't work, and the floors/walls/ceilings are ruined. I believe it would be condemned. Since this is a duplex, I'm concerned she'll be hit with the entire cost of the building. I haven't seen next door, but I have to believe they can smell it and the shared walls are ruined. No one has complained yet and my sister is still paying rent but it's only a matter of time because she's about to lose her job. Sorry for rambling on, just trying to share as much as possible in case it helps. She knows she's in a load of trouble and trying to find a road to redemption. I think it all starts with calling the landlord and asking him to come by. She has lived there for years.. I feel like she owes him that much.
How did the cats cause there to be no power? How did the cats remove the faucets? How did the cats destroy the toilets? How did the cats ruin the "floors/walls/ceilings"? Ok, the floors I can understand and possibly damage to the walls...but the ceilings?

Murphy Pantego

It's tough for me to even get my mind around it but there were upwards of 100 cats at one point and it's a two story duplex, the floor is so soiled upstairs it has leaked through the wood into the ceilings. The faucets are rusted/corroded, might be salvageable but not currently working. The electrical was ruined by cat spray. Every time I think is the scale of this it's overwhelming. I wish I could have moved back sooner so I could have caught this before it got out of hand.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How did the cats cause there to be no power? How did the cats remove the faucets? How did the cats destroy the toilets? How did the cats ruin the "floors/walls/ceilings"? Ok, the floors I can understand and possibly damage to the walls...but the ceilings?
Can't answer to the rest, but have a relative who would be another soulmate for OP's sister.

The cats are a symptom, not the sole cause... People with a cat problem don't clean the litter boxes... and attract vermin. (Roaches, rats, the occasional possum.)

Add in hoarding... Trash stacked high enough, the cats will ruin the walls too. The water heater goes.. turn off the water rather than getting a new water heater.

Murphy Pantego

Agreed cleverred, we are doing our best to treat the mental and emotional issues that go along with the hoarding. She doesn't even realize those cats were neglected. In her head she's helping neighborhood strays. As difficult as the emotional and mental problems are, just hoping criminal charges don't get filed, and trying to help her navigate the legal waters to find a solution that doesn't just pull her down further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">