• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

devestation by storm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonboatr

What is the name of your state?va
my property was undermined by Isabel hurricane. I am waterfront with riprap but that water was about 4 feet over the seawall. I would like to know if I can get tax relief. It will be about 30k to fix. The property is worth about 1/2 mil. I tried with tax office and they said waterfront is waterfront so pay up. Then I thought I could do the devastation thing on the income taxes. Is that something I could do and what are the real steps?

abezon

You can deduct a casualty loss on Schedule A (Form 4684). Your deduction is the decrease in fair market value minus any insurance reimbursement, minus $100, minus 10% of your AGI. See Pub 584 for details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">