• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Differing paternity tests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DC1377

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I took a court ordered paternity test through a lab in 1999 that came back negative. The boy (Now 25) asked me if I would be willing to take another test as his mother has been telling him his whole life that I was the only possible person that could be his father. I obliged because I wanted to give him closure. Well, the test this time (Again done at a lab) came back positive. How can this even be possible and which test do I believe? I am extremely confused.

Also could I be under any legal or financial obligations? The original paternity suit was dismissed with prejudice in 2000.

Just Blue

I took a court ordered paternity test through a lab in 1999 that came back negative. The boy (Now 25) asked me if I would be willing to take another test as his mother has been telling him his whole life that I was the only possible person that could be his father. I obliged because I wanted to give him closure. Well, the test this time (Again done at a lab) came back positive. How can this even be possible and which test do I believe? I am extremely confused.

Also could I be under any legal or financial obligations? The original paternity suit was dismissed with prejudice in 2000.
Testing is more advanced now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It is highly unlikely that you'll have any legal/financial obligations. I won't say there is zero chance, but it's just about as close to zero as you can hope for.

It's a shame that you and the man missed out on the father/son relationship.

DC1377

Thank you all for the quick replies. I am still a little confused about the negative test in 2000, but I'm really not in the right mindset to think about it too much right now.

It is a shame that I missed out on 25 years - The ex contacted me about 10 years ago asking me to take the test again, but I thought she was crazy. The kid is grown now with his own family, not much interest in me other than knowing he has a father out there. Pretty sad, but I guess I can understand.

Maybe in time.

Zigner

Thank you all for the quick replies. I am still a little confused about the negative test in 2000, but I'm really not in the right mindset to think about it too much right now.
It's unfortunate, but as was mentioned above, modern tests are much more reliable than those from the '90's.

Zigner

So, you are suggesting that in Ohio, a child support order can be established when the "child" is 25 years old where no order existed previously?
No, the contention is with your statement that CS can't be retroactive. In THIS situation it wouldn't be.

DC1377

So I just compared the recent test with the '00 test. There was only one common marker on both tests (FGA). In '00, my marker was a 22, now it's 20. The child's was consistent on both 20,24. Also, his mother was part of the '00 test and her FGA marker was 20.

Does this sound strange? I really want to know the truth, but something just isn't sitting right with me.

Zigner

So I just compared the recent test with the '00 test. There was only one common marker on both tests (FGA). In '00, my marker was a 22, now it's 20. The child's was consistent on both 20,24. Also, his mother was part of the '00 test and her FGA marker was 20.

Does this sound strange? I really want to know the truth, but something just isn't sitting right with me.
If you had no matching markers, then they would have come back with a negative match.

LdiJ

You can always have the test done one more time...assuming the adult child would be willing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">