• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Direct Deposit paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not legal in PA (and most but not all other states) for a private employer to make direct deposit mandatory. :)

VeronicaLodge

No, it is not legal in PA (and most but not all other states) for a private employer to make direct deposit mandatory. :)
thanks guys, do either of you have a reference you can link me to? I have been googling but only finding answers like this on message boards and yahoo answers and stuff like that with not real source attached.

I really appreciate all your help!

pattytx

Can't find it on the website, but my resource CD I have at home will have the law cite if no one else posts it by tonight.

pattytx

This is from a paid subscription payroll resource.

Permitted if the employee has requested such method of payment in writing. The written agreement must include all terms and conditions under which transfers are to be made and the methods a wage-earner may use to withdraw such a request and terminate the agreement. Employee must receive a separate written record of each deposit either prior to or at the time of the deposit (Pennsylvania Statutes Annotated Title 7, §§ 6121, 6122, as last amended (1975)).

abrow2aa

To Pattytx

To Pattytx - do you have information on D.C. and mandatory direct deposit. I *think* it is not allowed to be required, but I cannot find the D.C. Code section that states that....Thank you!!!!

Betty

Direct Deposit DC-

Private employers may not require direct deposit. Employers may only use DD if employees voluntarily give written authorization. DC Code 32-1302

Public employees may only be paid by direct deposit or delivery of the check by US mail to their residences. DC Code 1-611.20

Betty

Michie's Legal Resources public employees

§ 1-611.20. Mandatory direct deposit [Formerly § 1-612.20].

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the only method for the receipt of salary, wages, or any other compensation, and retirement payments by any District of Columbia employee or retiree, whether compensated by the District with District funds or federal funds, shall consist of one of the following:

(1) Direct deposit through electronic funds transfer to a checking, savings, or account designated by the employee or retiree; or

(2) The delivery of the check by U.S. mail to the employee's or retiree's place of residence.

(b) The Mayor is authorized to issue rules to implement this section.

(March 3, 1979, D.C. Law 2-139, § 1120, as added Mar. 20, 1998, D.C. Law 12-60, § 601, 44 DCR 7378; 1981 Ed., § 1-612.20; Nov. 19, 1997, 111 Stat. 2185, Pub. L. 105-100, § 156.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">