• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharging Firearm...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

bigproblems11 said:
We were firing it in the air or on the ground. There is no way the bullets couldve gone anywhere.
Uh ... what?!

They WERE going somewhere! They were going UP (and, later, down ...), and when you shoot in to the ground bullets have this nasty tendency to ricochet.

Also, does the cop have the right to come in my house and take pictures and stuff?
Possibly. If it was a crime in progress and he made entry to stop the crime, then it's probably okay.

It will depend on the specific circumstances.

Lastly i wanted to know if you guys knew the consequences of this? Is it jail time? Probation or just a fine?
Don't know what a misdemeanor is punishable by in your state ... likely probation is an option, but jail time (or probation) and a fine are likely the standard consequences.

- Carl

badapple40

What reason would he have to enter the house? The rounds were not fired from the house.

Sounds and looks like a fourth amendment violation to me. Did he obtain any evidence from the house? If so, expect that to be tossed out. Sounds like he has more than enough evidence to prove the crime based on his observation of you in the backyard.

By any chance did you have your neighbors permission (the corn field owner) and give him notice you were firing the firearm? If so, that might be a defense (no disregard to neighbors rights). If not, I'd say you are hosed.

Most misdemeanors typically get suspended sentences with probation/parole conditions.

CdwJava

badapple40 said:
What reason would he have to enter the house? The rounds were not fired from the house.
I can think of a few. What the reason is would depend on what is in the report.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">