• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dishonest Property Manager, scamming me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with then. It's not uncommon for folks to mark up purchases.
I am disagreeing with mark up in this instance. By its very nature there is no mark up on an expense reimbursement. That would change the entire nature of the payment. It is not even normally a payment, it's a deduction from the landlord's collected rent. IF the property managment company is large enough to have repair people on staff (and few are) then it is possible that there could be a mark up on parts. However for a property manager to attempt to mark up an outside repair person's bill would violate most management contracts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am disagreeing with mark up in this instance. By its very nature there is no mark up on an expense reimbursement. That would change the entire nature of the payment. It is not even normally a payment, it's a deduction from the landlord's collected rent. IF the property managment company is large enough to have repair people on staff (and few are) then it is possible that there could be a mark up on parts. However for a property manager to attempt to mark up an outside repair person's bill would violate most management contracts.
Fair enough.

Joz

We've never seen the house in person but did get an inspection before purchase.
The PM has $500 on deposit to cover any expenses or repairs and we refill it when needed. But, if it's more than a certain amount, they will contact us. They did not with the stove and the on-boarding person said to me on the phone, during the first week, "the tenant called about the stove but turned out to be user error". So I was relieved that I would not get charged. Till I saw the next owner statement.

They keep tailoring their response to fit the issue. They said this last night, copied and pasted to get it right: "
I am aware that the permit was the one your contractor obtained and was not the $150 that Justin is referring to but I am starting to believe that this is something misunderstood. We do have to obtain permits but my team is unable to find a paper trail that one was needed by Evernest outside the $40 one your vendor pulled. I believe Justin believed that the $408 invoice for stove repair included a permit." I've provided to them, all emails, text messages between all PM employees and my contractor along with permit screen shots. And they can't provide a paper trail.

This has been going round and round for over a month. It just occurred to me that I can check with our new PM about local regulations in regard to new appliances. Thanks again for all the valuable info.

quincy

We've never seen the house in person but did get an inspection before purchase.
The PM has $500 on deposit to cover any expenses or repairs and we refill it when needed. But, if it's more than a certain amount, they will contact us. They did not with the stove and the on-boarding person said to me on the phone, during the first week, "the tenant called about the stove but turned out to be user error". So I was relieved that I would not get charged. Till I saw the next owner statement.

They keep tailoring their response to fit the issue. They said this last night, copied and pasted to get it right: "
I am aware that the permit was the one your contractor obtained and was not the $150 that Justin is referring to but I am starting to believe that this is something misunderstood. We do have to obtain permits but my team is unable to find a paper trail that one was needed by Evernest outside the $40 one your vendor pulled. I believe Justin believed that the $408 invoice for stove repair included a permit." I've provided to them, all emails, text messages between all PM employees and my contractor along with permit screen shots. And they can't provide a paper trail.

This has been going round and round for over a month. It just occurred to me that I can check with our new PM about local regulations in regard to new appliances. Thanks again for all the valuable info.
Checking local and county and state regulations would be smart. I would check on any licensing necessary for property managers in Mississippi, as well.

I hope you find your new property manager to be better than your last one.

Good luck.

Reactions: Joz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">