• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly Conduct for something that was heard, but not viewed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

Laying rubber is just as bad, and is the same offense as "doing donuts".

I had a kid that I stopped this weekend while leaving a wedding in a church parking lot. he went to one end of the lot and "lit 'em up" (spun his tires causing them to smoke and squeal). He then decided to spin out all over the lot ... call 'em "donuts", "burning rubber", "brodies", or whatever - it was still dangerous and illegal.

He was insensed that I didn't get the other guys that had done it before him. I told him that was simply his bad luck ... I had heard the other guys, but since we had just been chasing a motorcycle that crashed, we weren't free to come deal with him and his buddies. Now that I was, it was his dumb luck to be caught. he just thought this was so unfair.

Oh, he was 17 years old.

Well, I told him that as it was a misdemeanor I COULD take him to juvenile hall for the offense if he did not chill the attitude, AND I could tow his car. I also advised him that because he laid down rubber all over the parking lot he could also be held liable for damages to the lot and potentially charged for vandalism as well.

I don't think he ever understood.

It is the nature of the young and dumb not to understand.

I just hope our OP learns his lesson and decides that spinning his tires is not only dangerous, but it does real damage to other people's property ... property that the owner would have to pay a lot of money to get cleaned up.

I doubt he'll take that lesson away from the whole affair. But, I am a cautious optimist.

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

i guess the problem occurs the situation. i dont view it as dangerous or damaging. but i wasn't laying pieces of rubber either. i dunno it just seems like you can't do anything anymore without it being illegal.
I get to differ. YOu can get a job, get an education, go to the morgue and see other kids like you who thought they were 'just having fun' ....hell, there's a lot you can do without getting in trouble.

also, after it was all said and done, 5 cop cars pulled up, i thought that maybe they should be looking into 'real' crime, rather than busting some punk kids pulling some dumb stunts in a parking lot.
Actually I agree. They could be out busting parking violations, chasing down lost animals or trying to save your life because you're too damn stupid to realize that a 5,000 lb automobile isn't a toy and doing stunts for which it was not designed could end up in stress fractures which will at a minimum, disable the car and at worst, cause the axel to break and the car to flip, killing your dumb ass.

CdwJava

iamretarded said:
i dont view it as dangerous or damaging. but i wasn't laying pieces of rubber either. i dunno it just seems like you can't do anything anymore without it being illegal. but i guess it's two different peoples views on the subject, and the cop thought that i was being a menace to the commonwealth?
You do NOT think it dangerous to NOT have your tires in contact with the road in a manner that allows you to control the vehicle safely?

You do NOT think it is damaging to leave ugly black stripes on someone's property? Stripes that take a heck of a lot of effort and money to remove?

Unbelievable!

If it ain't that big a deal, then go do it in YOUR driveway! You might be able to legally do that there ... but, my guess is that your parents would kick your tail pipe for doing that.

You can do whatever damage you want to the property you own, or property you have permission to be on AND perform the act. But when you do it somewhere else and think that it is no big deal, that just demonstrates a youthful arrogance which is NOT going to serve you well.

also, after it was all said and done, 5 cop cars pulled up, i thought that maybe they should be looking into 'real' crime, rather than busting some punk kids pulling some dumb stunts in a parking lot.
And if they hadn't had to deal with the public menace you and your friends were creating, maybe they could have been out dealing with "real crime". Unfortunately, at the moment, the greatest threat to public safety in front of them was you.

But, if you knew of a "real crime" in progress, I am sure they would have been happy to have gone had you pointed it out.

CdwJava, do you think i should just pay the ticket? or if you were in the same situation, would you issue tickets? how does it look in your eyes. for them to hear tires squealing, see us leaving the lot, stop us, etc...and why did so many cars come?
If I could not say that the car and driver I stopped had done it, I could not issue the citation. However, not knowing what the officer saw or heard, I can't say.

But, like the other night, if I had seen sveeral cars spinning their tires through the fence into the church lot, I could easily stop them as they left the other side an dcited them for what I observed ... and they would probably say that I had not seen them either.

And all the cars came probably because either someone had called about a bunch of reckless drivers, or, a lot of officers heard the noise.

- Carl

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

iamretarded said:
You're looking at the situation too close minded, thats what i HATE about cops. They are right, you are wrong, end of story.

Sorry to disappoint you kid but I'm not a cop. I'm just someone who's seen what your kind of stupidity can do to families left behind when your car goes out of control and kills the sweet little girl who thought it would be cool to watch her boyfriend play only to see a hubcap, a bearing or other part of your "TOY" come flying off and towards her head at speeds so fast all she can do is stand there frozen until death calls her.

I'll reserve a slab for you at my next autopsy. And I won't shed a tear.

CdwJava

"Closed minded"?

Look, kiddo, I wouldn't have ANY PROBLEM with you doing that on property that you control. What I have a problem with is kids thinking that they have a right to use, abuse, and endanger the rest of the public because they feel it is their right.

You want to be able to rip your car around and do whatever you say you weren't doing? Then build an asphalt lot and do it. Don't do it on someone else's property. And if your tires were squealing, you WERE "laying rubber" ... it's called 'physics' ... you learn about it in school - or should. And if you WERE squealing the tires, they were NOT in contact with the pavement and thus the vehicle was NOT in control ... though kids with no real life experience may think so.

Leave that crud for someplace that allows it ... not on property that someone else is responsible for. It is simply arrogance to presume you have a right to do whatever you want to do in a place that you do not have a legal right to do it.

I think I understand why you got the ticket now ... especially if you got this attitiude when the cops arrived.

Had the kid I talked to the other night been like that, he would have lost his car AND gone to juvenile hall for reckless driving and vandalism. Fortunately, he at least had the common sense to shut up even if he didn't agree.

It is also a matter of how we were raised, I suppose. If I had gotten caught doing this, my dad would have trashed my car and then thrashed me a bit. And if I catch my kids doing anything like this when they start driving, they will learn what life is like as a pedestrian.

- Carl

Last edited:

CdwJava

iamretarded said:
and agian you guys are the ones with the attitudes, calling me kiddo and such. thats very unprofessional, and its called ageism.
No ... it's called experience.

And I am a professional driver ... compared to your amateur hobby status - I know about "drifting" ... and I also know about coefficients of friction and control. And I also know that the act you describe damages property by leaving wonderful black marks from the tires where you do it. What gets me is that you think that is okay ... yet I doubt you would think so if someone did that in your driveway.

That's the arrogance I am talking about.

- Carl

CdwJava

iamretarded said:
You're treating this like a big deal! Like I actually had the intent to kill someone, it's rediculous. But hey, there is multiple sides to every story. God bless. Being a cop is a dangerous job and I thank you for it. God bless you and the people you hold dear.

AGAIN, Im very sorry for the disturbance I've caused here and in the parking lot. I'm sure I offened many people.
Is it a "BIG deal" ... no. But, it is a great concern nonetheless. I have seen terrible accidents resulting from this kind of "play". And so have many other cops. Hence the reason we don't put up with it.

And while there may be more than one side to the story, this is a completely preventable problem - and one that everyone knows is unlawful. Thus, they knowingly violate the law and then try to argue that it's no big thing when they are caught.

Compared to many crimes it IS no big thing. But, compared to the activity on most nights, it IS a big thing.

And I can guarantee you that to the property owner who now has ugly black marks on his lot it is also a big thing.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">