• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dispute of child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newwife03

What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex and I have a 9 year old son together. I want some legal advice on child custody. My son lived with me, I had custody for over 7 years. Up until I admitted my self into the hospital for medical help(depression). The night before I went into the hospital my ex had me sign papers basically switching our roles in custody. There was no witness we did not go to court, I dont even have copies of the papers. I was in the hospital for less than a week. Then continued outside therapy, I stayed in contact with my son but didnt see him regularly because I dint want him to see me that way, for about 8 months. I am back in church, have a good steady job, bought a house on my own. I want my son back with me, and he wants to live with me. Every time I see or talk to him, which is regular now, he asks when can he come back to live with me full time. How do I find out if those papers are legally binding? If they were filed through the courts? Since I wasnt in my right frame of mind can they stand up in court?

tuffbrk

What court papers are currently in existence? For example, you were divorced on XX date, child was XXyrs old, legal custody was 50/50, you were primary, Dad had visistation...etc, etc. Were child support orders ever filed?

newwife03

as far as I know, our original papers from 2001. we had joint custody where my son stayed with me and his dad got him 1st 3rd and 5th weekends, I had all rights to decide school, etc. He paid me childsuport. But my ex says he filed the document that he had me sign 1 1/2 ago with the courts, but they werent witnessed. So now I dont know who legally has custody or how to find out.

majomom1

as far as I know, our original papers from 2001. we had joint custody where my son stayed with me and his dad got him 1st 3rd and 5th weekends, I had all rights to decide school, etc. He paid me childsuport. But my ex says he filed the document that he had me sign 1 1/2 ago with the courts, but they werent witnessed. So now I dont know who legally has custody or how to find out.
Go to the court house and ask for the entire file on your case.

Gracie3787

As the other poster said, go to the courthouse and read your file.

If there hasn't been a new order that legally changed custody, then the existing order is what you go by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">