• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregard Traffic Control Device-validity of ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phin

Colorado, City of Steamboat Spings.

Lights were flashing yellow/red at an intersection. There was an officer waving through traffic. I misunderstood his wave and made a safe left turn. He gave me a ticket for "disregarded traffic control device." I am questioning the ticket for many reasons but the first step is to determine if he ticketed me incorrectly. Can an officer be a "traffic control device" or should the ticket have been "disregarded police officer?" Thanks.

seniorjudge

Before we can tell you anything, give us the text of the statute or ordinance (including the number) under which you are charged.

Phin

Ordinance No. 1914; Section No. 603; Violation Disregard Traffic Control Device; Points 4; C.C. 300

seniorjudge

Ordinance No. 1914; Section No. 603; Violation Disregard Traffic Control Device; Points 4; C.C. 300
Hmmm...any particular city or state?

I know you said Steamboat Springs in Colorado was where you were, but is that also where you got this ticket?

And what is the text of this ordinance?

Phin

i was pulled over/ticketed in city of steamboat springs- "uniform summons and complaint in the municipal court in and for the city of steamboat springs, county of routt, state of colorado." text of ordinance is "disregarded traffic control device"

cepe10

There is some guidance on that in the MUTCD...He can act as a flagger but has to signal clearly per the guidance.. "otherwise directed by officer provision" note: mutcd is adopted by CO...

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/HTM/2003r1/part6/part6e.htm

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

42-4-603. Obedience to official traffic control devices.
Statute text

(1) No driver of a vehicle shall disobey the instructions of any official traffic control device including any official hand signal device placed or displayed in accordance with the provisions of this article unless otherwise directed by a police officer subject to the exceptions in this article granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle.

(2) No provision of this article for which official traffic control devices are required shall be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official device is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. Whenever a particular section does not state that official traffic control devices are required, such section shall be effective even though no devices are erected or in place.

(3) Whenever official traffic control devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of this article, such devices shall be presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of lawful authority unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.

(4) Any official traffic control device placed pursuant to the provisions of this article and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices shall be presumed to comply with the requirements of this article unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.

(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.
History

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2340, § 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Phin

sorry hard to read.

(1) No driver of a vehicle shall disobey the instructions of any official traffic control device including any official hand signal device placed or displayed in accordance with the provisions of this article unless otherwise directed by a police officer subject to the exceptions in this article granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle.

does this mean that the officer can be considered a "traffic control device?"

cepe10

Yes - it is in the verbage that he can.

I think your best argument would have to be that there is reasonable doubt due to the unusual circumstances and that you did not disregard the officer but rather he did not signal correctly and clearly per the guidelines he is required to follow as posted previously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">