• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/Custody/Child Support--The Works

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorguy3

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have explained much of my situation in other posts. I am currently Pro Se until I can afford to retain an attorney.

I was recently rushed through a contested divorce as if it were uncontested. I served my ex with dissolusion papers last year. Her attorney did not answer the petition with a counter petition. Instead, she answered with a motion to dismiss. So, the the motion to dismiss was approved. Then, in the last couple of months, I was served with dissolusion papers. Within the 20 days allowed, I filled out the counter petition and other required documents and had them notarized. That same day I was arrested for "oustanding purges" as the writ was requested under the false pretense the purges were not paid. However, they were previously paid and I have the proof. I was held in jail, though, for the remainder of the time I had to file my counter petition. Therefore, I was not able to file the paperwork on time. Upon being released on a writ of habeas corpus order, I called the c.o.c. to ask where to fax the documentation. The person there informed me the final order was already on the judge's desk and had been for a couple days.

I then faxed over a motion to set aside the default issued and I have also sent over a motion to set aside the final judgment, as it too was signed by the judge.

The judge's comments on the motion to set aside the default, though he didn't sign it, were "not necessary, evidentiary hearing necessary."

Can anybody out there give me any understanding as to this decision? Can you also give me any idea of what to expect in an evidentiary hearing as I have no clue at this point. I am reading but would like to have statements from those who have experienced this hearing first hand or who knows what is expected.

I want to point out that the only thing that is in question in this case is custody. I am not questioning the divorce or otherwise.

Thanks.

gatorguy3

Are there no paralegals or legal assistants or anyone out there who might be kind enough to give some advice on this?

Maybe my questions are idiotic that nobody wants to touch them.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I really think this is something you need to speak with a local attorney about. Most of us here are layfolk who are going on personal experience and research.

gatorguy3

I appreciate your comments Stealth. I also am looking for personal experience on these types of issues.

I have tried to get attorneys to help me, but they are less than willing to assist unless I give them money, and I really do not have much to go around right now.

Thank you again.

LdiJ

gatorguy3 said:
I appreciate your comments Stealth. I also am looking for personal experience on these types of issues.

I have tried to get attorneys to help me, but they are less than willing to assist unless I give them money, and I really do not have much to go around right now.

Thank you again.
I most sincerely urge you to consult an attorney...what is happening to you is the kind of thing that sometimes happens when someone doesn't have proper representation.

Borrow the money from family if you have to....but I really believe that you need an attorney.

gatorguy3

LdiJ:

Thanks for your comments. I do not disagree with you. I do not claim to know everything and I am doing little good alone. I am saving to get an attorney that will not help without a retainer...and every day I call other attorneys to see about Pro bono work from their law firm.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">