• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce for a Bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wnagel

What is the name of your state? KS

I have been going through a very rough custody over the last 10 years. The bills have been stagering. I filed bankruptcy 8 years ago and now have accumulated about another 100,000 of debt. My bankrupt attorney says that because I am married, that I cannot file again. Can I get divorced and then file bankruptcy? Can I still stay with my wife? Do the courts look for this loophole? Is this legal? How then does one partner in a marriage file bankruptcy?

Ladynred

My bankrupt attorney says that because I am married, that I cannot file again.
Is this lawyer even a BANKRUPTCY attorney ??

Sorry, but that's absurd. Of course you can file again and you do it whether you're married or not ! If you last filed 8 years ago, you CAN file again, but do it soon before the new law gets rammed thru the House.

Can I get divorced and then file bankruptcy? Can I still stay with my wife?
Divorce is NOT necessary - see above.

How then does one partner in a marriage file bankruptcy?
You file a petition with only your name on it. There is NO requirement for married couples to file jointly.

I strongly suggest you find another bankruptcy attorney !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">