• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

There is no statute of limitations on judgements. It will always be there acruing interest. Some day she will go to buy a house and it will have to be settled in order to get a mortgage. Not to mention if the ex decides he wants to collect sooner. The best thing for her to do is try to work out a payment plan with him and start paying.

VT Statutes:
§ 506. Judgments
Actions on judgments and actions for the renewal or revival of judgments shall be brought within eight years after the rendition of the judgment, and not after.

However, the statute refers to renewal of the judgment, so it may be possible to renew for additional time.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

I used to be a loan officer with a company dealing with mortgages for people with bad credit. We had to pay off a lot of "old" judgements in order to get people approved!
A lenders underwriting policy requiring payment of an unsatisfied judgment has NOTHING to do with SOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

faithnlve

Of course, 'JustAPal' is JUST AN IDIOT!!!

VT Statutes:
§ 506. Judgments
Actions on judgments and actions for the renewal or revival of judgments shall be brought within eight years after the rendition of the judgment, and not after.

However, the statute refers to renewal of the judgment, so it may be possible to renew for additional time.
Thank you JETX :eek: So since the 8 years went by in January of this year....the divorce/marital judgment, can he still collect it now? Her ex makes 20X more than she does now, and she is in financial hardship. Thanks again.....Faith

JustAPal00

Look the question you asked was if she could get sued or not. She has already been sued, and the court says she owes the money plus interest. Right now she has this judgement that is or isn't nearing the SOL. Most legal web sites say 20 years, but you said the statute says 8 years. Either way, if it can be renewed it's irrelevant. If the ex is after her for the money, he will probably keep renewing it so in effect there is no SOL. If he lets it go then she has nothing to worry about. As far as it showing on her credit, it will appear for 7 years or until the SOL runs out. You need to run all three major reports to see if it appears on her credit.

I don't need to insult people to make myself feel important, and at least I have looked on line and given an opinion. I also have some practical experience dealing with people with old judgements on their credit history!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">