• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce or Annulment? Very unusual situation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

green_turtle

Then, you will (apparently) need to wait it out through a separation. You're not in a hurry to get married to someone else, are you?
Hell no. But....what if he racks up 10k in debt while i am waiting for another 11 months? Can i at least file for a legal separation from him to be legally NOT responsible for his financial/social actions?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hell no. But....what if he racks up 10k in debt while i am waiting for another 11 months?
The man you married is the same man that you've lived with for 6 years. You decided that you wanted to get married to make things better. You made a bad choice...one that may have consequences.

green_turtle

Confused :confused:

Some say ther is no legal separation in NJ, some say there is. (googled). Which is it? Anybody knows? How to get legally separated, so i can wait 11 months in piece and have all our financial matter separated legally?

I rather just get a divorce right away and forget it as a nightmare. Sigh...

CourtClerk

When you get to google, type in (name of county, NJ) courts... read. Research. Do your homework. We won't be filing your divorce for you, better you start learning now.

green_turtle

When you get to google, type in (name of county, NJ) courts... read. Research. Do your homework. We won't be filing your divorce for you, better you start learning now.
I know. Thank you.

Its just that it is confusing. I am at the NJ divorce site now and it sais that to be legally separated we must not live together. Well, he wont leave the house and i know i cant legally make him leave since it is a marital home. So, legal separation flies out of the window then?

If i go for a non-fault divorce, again we must be legally separated BEFORE i can even file for 18 months. How is it possible?

If i file on grounds of Extreme Cruelty or a fault divorce - the most recent acts of cruelty you claim in the complaint must have happened at least three months before you file the complaint for divorce. So again....i am stuck with him for at least three months before i can even file. And in the meantime DH will be charging those cards like there is no tomorrow, i am sure.

Adultery is left. If I commit the adultery - can i claim it on myself if i am the petitioner?

I just want him out of my eyes, my sight, my memories. It HURTS to be married to him after all this.

Anyone divorced in NJ recently that can share personal experience?

Thank you all.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I know. Thank you.

Its just that it is confusing. I am at the NJ divorce site now and it sais that to be legally separated we must not live together. Well, he wont leave the house and i know i cant legally make him leave since it is a marital home. So, legal separation flies out of the window then?
The other option, of course, is for you to move out.

If i go for a non-fault divorce, again we must be legally separated BEFORE i can even file for 18 months. How is it possible?

If i file on grounds of Extreme Cruelty or a fault divorce - the most recent acts of cruelty you claim in the complaint must have happened at least three months before you file the complaint for divorce. So again....i am stuck with him for at least three months before i can even file. And in the meantime DH will be charging those cards like there is no tomorrow, i am sure.

Adultery is left. If I commit the adultery - can i claim it on myself if i am the petitioner?
I don't think so, but since you're incapable of or unwilling to do any research, you should see an attorney.

I just want him out of my eyes, my sight, my memories. It HURTS to be married to him after all this.

Anyone divorced in NJ recently that can share personal experience?

Thank you all.
If you want someone to commiserate with, try a different site. This one is for legal questions.

green_turtle

The other option, of course, is for you to move out.

The mortgage is on my name. I HAVE to pay it, cause he will not. I cant afford two households.

I don't think so, but since you're incapable of or unwilling to do any research, you should see an attorney.

I am doing the research. Just wondering if anyone else can share their personal experience.

If you want someone to commiserate with, try a different site. This one is for legal questions.
I know that. And thank you and everyone else for any help or advise given.

green_turtle

I didnt know if i should start a new thread or keep posting my questions here.

Last night i had to call the police. My husband came home from work and we had an argument. He started acting in a violent manner, throwing things at me, doing embarassing and hurtfull stuff - like putting tomato soup on my head, breaking dishes, emtying garbidge can on the floor. He created a horrible mess and damaged quite a few things, disrespected me by those actions big time. My 11 year old was a witness to all that**************...As soon as the police was called, husband took off and didnt return. And i am sure will not.

We had a domestic violence case about three years ago, he went through anger management and things were good for a while. The case was dismissed back then, with the help of my attorney. I know what consequences of pressing charges are, and when the police came by yesterday they asked me if i want to proceed with the RO and charges. I said that i will think about it and make my decision today.

Any way. My post is not about that. My post is about divorce, which i want. I researched a lot on this subject and found out that in NJ there have to be grounds for divorce. I would file for unusual and cruel treatment - which is what it is, but the last incident has to take place 3 months prior to the filing of the divorce. We have only been married a month, and here comes my question: How can i protect myself from possible debt accumulated by husband while i am waiting for these 3 months in order to be able to file? There is no legal form of legal separation in NJ. What should i do, to NOT be responsible for his debt or actions within these 3 months by the time i am legally able to file for divorce??? Please anyone - give me some advise. I am scheduling a consult with attorney, but if anyone has any insight on what should i do - please help.

BTW - husband disconnected my cell phone last night. My line was on the family plan, and he is the account holder. Can he legally do that?

Isis1

I didnt know if i should start a new thread or keep posting my questions here.

Last night i had to call the police. My husband came home from work and we had an argument. He started acting in a violent manner, throwing things at me, doing embarassing and hurtfull stuff - like putting tomato soup on my head, breaking dishes, emtying garbidge can on the floor. He created a horrible mess and damaged quite a few things, disrespected me by those actions big time. My 11 year old was a witness to all that**************...As soon as the police was called, husband took off and didnt return. And i am sure will not.

We had a domestic violence case about three years ago, he went through anger management and things were good for a while. The case was dismissed back then, with the help of my attorney. I know what consequences of pressing charges are, and when the police came by yesterday they asked me if i want to proceed with the RO and charges. I said that i will think about it and make my decision today.

Any way. My post is not about that. My post is about divorce, which i want. I researched a lot on this subject and found out that in NJ there have to be grounds for divorce. I would file for unusual and cruel treatment - which is what it is, but the last incident has to take place 3 months prior to the filing of the divorce. We have only been married a month, and here comes my question: How can i protect myself from possible debt accumulated by husband while i am waiting for these 3 months in order to be able to file? There is no legal form of legal separation in NJ. What should i do, to NOT be responsible for his debt or actions within these 3 months by the time i am legally able to file for divorce??? Please anyone - give me some advise. I am scheduling a consult with attorney, but if anyone has any insight on what should i do - please help.

BTW - husband disconnected my cell phone last night. My line was on the family plan, and he is the account holder. Can he legally do that?
get a restraining order. call the police station and let them know you WILL be filing a report and want a restraining order. do it.

file for divorce. yes, STBX can disconnect HIS account.

i'm almost positive a restraining order will mark the day he is no longer in the home and will start a date as far as seperation of debt, but wait for other seniors to comment since i have been wrong before.

green_turtle

get a restraining order. call the police station and let them know you WILL be filing a report and want a restraining order. do it.

file for divorce. yes, STBX can disconnect HIS account.

i'm almost positive a restraining order will mark the day he is no longer in the home and will start a date as far as seperation of debt, but wait for other seniors to comment since i have been wrong before.
Thanks Isabella.

CAN i file already?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">