• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hoggy

I would check with the local Pro Se Office at the court to get started. They will usually help with figuring out which forms you need and help you complete them. I went to one Pro Se Office where they strictly adhere to the limits and was told, sorry - can't help you. I went to another and their policy is to help anyone because they realize the costs of hiring an attorney are beyond the means of many people. The income limits for Legal Aid and some of the other free / low cost legal assistance agencies can be prohibitive (IMHO). In my case, 125% of the poverty limit for 1 person was about $19,000 per year. There is no consideration for how much you're left with after paying more bills than before you or your spouse left, etc. It's frustrating and painful. Sometimes the money is just not there. In my case, I need a second job to provide enough money to live on because all but $100 permonth goes to bills now. I couldn't add a new bill for a skateboard! lololol!!! I am also a firm believer that an informed consumer stands a better chance. We pay lawyers because it's not all cut and dry, and the law consists of more than a couple of pages in a book. Reading the code / law for divorce in your area would still be a good idea. It helps to organize your own thoughts and prepare the information you share with an attorney. Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I am in the same boat financially. I did get some good advice on how to at least answer the complaint. (Go to the clerk's office and request a copy of a recent divorce, which is public record.) Thanks for the Pro Se advice

Beg borrow or steal*to get a lawyer. One small thing that gets past you or that you don't understand can mean literally decades of problems down the road.

*ok, don't steal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">