• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce with social secuirty back pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kanut

What is the name of your state? Tennesse

If the spouse has filed for disability and approved before the divorce, is the back pay split? Spouse has been out of work for a little over a year. I had to pick up another job in order to maintain household and other liabilities.

LdiJ

kanut said:
What is the name of your state? Tennesse

If the spouse has filed for disability and approved before the divorce, is the back pay split? Spouse has been out of work for a little over a year. I had to pick up another job in order to maintain household and other liabilities.
You need to consult a local attorney on that one. I suspect that it would depend a lot on a judge's view of things. You can certainly argue that you would be entitled to some of the back pay because you had to get a second job to support the marriage.....but there is also a lot of "sympathy factor" that would come into play if your soon to be ex is truly disabled. A local attorney would be the best "gauge" regarding how a particular judge might rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">