• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV and NCIS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martmart42

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello. I posted about a month ago about having a child support warrant in WI. I have since moved to Florida to work for my father's business and make money so I can pay off my warrant in WI. I know that I am required to get a Florida license and don't want to get myself in even more trouble by not getting one so here is my question.

If I go to the DMV in Florida to get a drivers license are they going to see my WI warrant and have me arrested? I have been told that the only way they will find my WI warrant in FL is by looking in the NCIS but does the FL DMV use NCIS? I don't know how that stuff works and with my transferring my license from WI to FL I just wonder if my WI warrant is in the WI DMV records. Please note that my license IS NOT suspended in WI so as far as that goes that wouldn't be in their computers for that reason.

Thanks in advance for the help.

garrula lingua

Child support payment information is becoming, more & more, federally enforced and disseninated interstate.

Your info should follow you wherever you go - driver's license, passport, tax refund intercepts, etc.

Pay your child support.
Make arrangements ASAP to establish a payment plan for the current and arrearage payments.
Hopefully, the payments will cancel any potential jail.

martmart42

I thank you for your reply but that doesn't answer my question. If I go to the DMV in Florida to get a Florida license are they going to see my Wisconsin child support warrant and arrest me?

garrula lingua

I would be even more concerned:
if you are just driving along the road & go a bit too fast, and get pulled over - guess what ?

the cop will see your warrant and - guess what -- s/he'll arrest you (& have your car towed).

And, -guess what- WI won't come and get you, but you'll hang around the jail, waiting until the agencies all speak with each other, so you'll sit in jail for several days.

And then, -guess what- the same thing can keep happening, over & over.

----Clear up the warrant; life will be simpler and happier & speeding will only be a ticket.---
Besides, it's the manly (and fatherly) thing to do.

martmart42

Thanks again. I am trying to clear up this warrant and get back on my feet. I was a college student with only a year left of college but then everything came tumbling down. I love my son and want to provide for him but it's really hard being 22 years old and a college student. The reason I need to get my FL license is because I have been offered a job with a truck driving company but I need to get my FL CDL first.

As far as being extradited goes. Are you 100% sure that WI would not extradite me for a child support warrant from FL? Also, how long would/could FL hold me. Is there a certain time frame that the two states have to follow in finding out if I will be extradited or not.

Final question that I have not asked yet. Are there any kind of guidelines that WI has to follow with this warrant? Such as, if I was to send money (not the full amount) would they have to clear the warrant without me sending the full purge or full arrearages?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">