• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DNA Testing for Adult Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonorThyFather9

Hi and thanks for your replies. There isn't anyone listed on my birth certificate so noone has acted as my father. My aunt says that my mom did not want to receive child support so she could get welfare and housing assistance an that is why she never pursue a DNA test. I know it is too late to order the court to make him take a test because I am over 18 now.

Ohio gal. I live in bucks county as so does my maybe dad. Yes I no I am only going off what other family told me. I may not have a legal right to know the truth but morally yes I think children should know where they come from if the chance is there to find that out.

Silverplum

Hi and thanks for your replies. There isn't anyone listed on my birth certificate so noone has acted as my father. My aunt says that my mom did not want to receive child support so she could get welfare and housing assistance an that is why she never pursue a DNA test. I know it is too late to order the court to make him take a test because I am over 18 now.

Ohio gal. I live in bucks county as so does my maybe dad. Yes I no I am only going off what other family told me. I may not have a legal right to know the truth but morally yes I think children should know where they come from if the chance is there to find that out.
So what's the point of posting this thread in the CHILD SUPPORT section?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I did not know where else to put since I did not see paternity section. Should I move the question?
No you don't need to remove or move the question. Here is the thing: municipalities make their own laws regarding trash-picking or dumpster diving. Without knowing what CITY/local area I can't tell you if LEGALLY you can do that.

The major problem is that without a verified chain of custody the test won't show ANYTHING.

HonorThyFather9

Thanks Ohio gal you have been very helpful. confusing how they set up the towns around here. If u get this in time I would like to delete the town if possible. Thanks for understand.

I went back to read the posts didn't see much crazy but I noticed someone did call me a punk which i missed the first time, which is uncalled for.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The test won't be admissible in court, but I don't think OP cares about that.
But the problem is OP can't guarantee that OP would get a usable sample that can be tested. Or a sample which is not diluted or otherwise bad. OP could get a sample that has two people's DNA on it and that would skew the results which means OP still wouldn't really know.

HonorThyFather9

The test won't be admissible in court, but I don't think OP cares about that.
You are correct. I do not care about a court acknowledging the paternity. This is for my own piece of mind.

Ohio gal I understand the whole sample concept but he doesn't know what I looked like so I could go to mcdonalds and watch him eat or drink and wait for him to discard. Did you get the town. I would like to delete it. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps you should seek therapy to overcome your obsession. Stalking is never a good idea.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are correct. I do not care about a court acknowledging the paternity. This is for my own piece of mind.

Ohio gal I understand the whole sample concept but he doesn't know what I looked like so I could go to mcdonalds and watch him eat or drink and wait for him to discard. Did you get the town. I would like to delete it. Thanks
Yeah so what you need to do is read the municipal codes for those areas to see what it states about it. However if he discards it in the garbage, how do you know you will get HIS cup and not a cup someone else threw away? Its not a good idea or plan to do this. Also how you going to end up at McDonald's at the same time he is? You going to stalk him? Not a good idea.

HonorThyFather9

Yeah so what you need to do is read the municipal codes for those areas to see what it states about it. However if he discards it in the garbage, how do you know you will get HIS cup and not a cup someone else threw away? Its not a good idea or plan to do this. Also how you going to end up at McDonald's at the same time he is? You going to stalk him? Not a good idea.

Thank you for your kind help. I will do this responsibly if I actually do go through with it. It took me ten years to get the courage to contact him so we will see. If I go through I will let you know. We can have a mini Maury povich moment lol

xylene

Look, the poster himself should not do this. That is perfectly accurate. There are so many physical and legal risks (criminal and civil)

However, if the poster wants answers, the way to get them is to hire a competent investigator.

Forensic private investigators do exist and do this kind of work, and much more sleazy, all the time.

The cost will not be nominal. Nor will it be outlandish however.

In my line of work I have spent thousands to determine essentially a single fact, for purposes of business intelligence.

If I did not know who my father was, but I had a solid lead, and I could afford it easily (don't waste money OP) I would consider using a forensic private investigators services.

I would at least talk to one, to see if what I wanted was materially possible, legal and advisable. I know for a fact it is technically possible and that FBI grade DNA forensic processings are available, legally, to anyone willing to pony up the cash.

HonorThyFather9

Why do you think you have any right to impose yourself on this person's life? Seriously...
Well if I never confront him about the results then it doesn't really impose on anyone does it? I looked in pa stalking is a misdemeanor for first time. I have no criminal record it would prob get removed if I was good for sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">