• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to file taxes? Not in US/Not a US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmn0548

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hello Lana and everyone.

Quick Question.
Graduated in 2006 in Dallas on my F-1 visa (obtained a real SSN), started working at the end of 2006/2007 til May 2008 in the US on OPT. did my taxes all until then. I then exited the US and now currently working abroad till today.

Do I have to file taxes?

Also, my bank account in the US is still functional as I am paying off my CC and loans still (on time). Will I have good credit (never had a late payment so far) even though I have left the country? Will my SSN still be valid? (hopefully) as I plan on going back to my MBA with a good credit history!

thanks!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hello Lana and everyone.

Quick Question.
Graduated in 2006 in Dallas on my F-1 visa (obtained a real SSN), started working at the end of 2006/2007 til May 2008 in the US on OPT. did my taxes all until then. I then exited the US and now currently working abroad till today.

Do I have to file taxes?

Also, my bank account in the US is still functional as I am paying off my CC and loans still (on time). Will I have good credit (never had a late payment so far) even though I have left the country? Will my SSN still be valid? (hopefully) as I plan on going back to my MBA with a good credit history!

thanks!
**A: it depends upon your income.

cmn0548

ahh hows that work?

I thought since I am not a US citizen (no GC or US Passport), I am only gonna get taxed if I work inside the USA?

pretty confused here :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">