• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have to have full custody to move out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

Florida is the 48th state in education. Look it up. I am not moving out of state with a "bed buddy". I am moving out of state with a female friend that has offered to watch my child so I can work. She has offered to help me with a place to stay and a ride. She told me she will help me get in school. This will be a more relaxed environment for me and my child. My son's father wants nothing to do with him here. I am not trying to take him from his father. I am trying to better things for my child and myself. There are more opportunites for jobs in Arizona. Florida was in a freeze hire before the recession. The unemployment percentage in the city I'm in is 9.9 %. The unemployment rate of the city I am trying to move to is 8.7%.
Sorry, but none of that is a reasonable justification for removing the child from Dad's location. If Dad doesn't contest, then it will be easy. If Dad contests, you need to show why it's in the child's best interests - and none of that comes close.

You already got the legal answer to your question.

DownTime

First of all, you have to focus on FL's *new* run down for relocation, which can be found here:
http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/61.13001

This is not just "guidelines", this is your relocation bible. Follow it like you're Moses.

They did away with the Notice of Relocation, btw.

Second, you have to focus on the best interest of the child, and better for you is okay but not nearly enough.

That means focus on the run-down in the link above, such as you being the primary care provider, etc. Find out what school the child will go to, and see what they offer, what medical care you need for the child and if insurance is available (or if current insurance works there too), get that information.

Ask your friend for a non-biased run down of how she will help, and your cost to her for that. Having a job lined up already would be ideal. If not, having a steady job in FL that pays the bills may show you are capable.

This may take almost a year, you know. Dig in now, and focus on that child, but read the relocation statute like a fiend. Write it down by hand once a week until you know it by heart.

Any allegations about Dad need paper-trail proof, or they are worthless.

There is more, but you may be in for a long situation and it's best you prepare now. You'll be off probation by the time this even gets close to starting.

Here are the state's self help links:
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml

Call them to see if you have low-cost service to speak with a lawyer in your area. And file for indigent status if you qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">