• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay her Alimony for life and Social Security benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guitarjeff

My state is CA. My divorce is almost settled finally after 1 year. Was married for 16 years with 2 kids. Child Support /Alimony has been established and paying monthly support payments. She will not be entitled to my pension, so was wondering how long will I have to pay her Alimony if she never gets re-married, for life? Also I have worked all my life, 48 now, I have put into Social Security and will get the full benefits, Is she entitled to any of my Social Security benefits also?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

My state is CA. My divorce is almost settled finally after 1 year. Was married for 16 years with 2 kids. Child Support /Alimony has been established and paying monthly support payments. She will not be entitled to my pension, so was wondering how long will I have to pay her Alimony if she never gets re-married, for life? Also I have worked all my life, 48 now, I have put into Social Security and will get the full benefits, Is she entitled to any of my Social Security benefits also?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What does your decree actually say?

Bali Hai

What's your point?
I did reply to your question yesterday, however, I'm not sure if I submitted the reply or perhaps the reply was deleted by someone as has happened many times in the past.

BTW, if you knew the answer to my question, you should have answered it before following with a question to my question. That's just plain good manners.

My reply:

If you don't mind paying SS tax for a portion of someone's benefits who never worked and really earned those benefits, then you shouldn't mind paying a portion of someone's governmental court ordered alimony.

mistoffolees

If you don't mind paying SS tax for a portion of someone's benefits who never worked and really earned those benefits, then you shouldn't mind paying a portion of someone's governmental court ordered alimony.
That's really silly - even for you.

Social Security is a government mandated safety net that provides payments under a well-defined set of rules - and it is entirely within the rules for someone to receive benefits based on what his/her ex earned. The government has decided that there's a societal benefit to having this kind of safety net in place.

Alimony is a private debt that is owed by ONE PERSON to another person. There is no societal benefit to my paying someone else's alimony.

However, if you think it's fair for someone to have to pay a third party's alimony, feel free to pay mine for me.

Bali Hai

That's really silly - even for you.

Social Security is a government mandated safety net that provides payments under a well-defined set of rules - and it is entirely within the rules for someone to receive benefits based on what his/her ex earned. The government has decided that there's a societal benefit to having this kind of safety net in place.

"The government" is you and I.

Alimony is a private debt that is owed by ONE PERSON to another person.

Alimony is not a "debt" and it is not "owed". It's a legislated "safety net" (obligation) to keep deadbeats off the welfare roles when they could be working like everybody else.

There is no societal benefit to my paying someone else's alimony.

Sure there is, the receiving party could avoid work and maintain the lazy lifestyle that they are accustom to.

However, if you think it's fair for someone to have to pay a third party's alimony, feel free to pay mine for me.
I will do that along with every other working person in this country.

Bali Hai

I'm hoping he agrees to pay my alimony for me first. :rolleyes:
I find it interesting that you refer to the money you provide to someone else as "my alimony". It can only be "your alimony" if you agreed to pay it. In that case, no, I will not pay your alimony because you have agreed that it is your alimony.

A judge who works for the government and orders someone to pay alimony against their will is entirely different.

mistoffolees

I find it interesting that you refer to the money you provide to someone else as "my alimony". It can only be "your alimony" if you agreed to pay it. In that case, no, I will not pay your alimony because you have agreed that it is your alimony.

A judge who works for the government and orders someone to pay alimony against their will is entirely different.
There's absolutely no legal difference whether it was stipulated alimony or non-stipulated court ordered alimony. It amounts to the same thing. Both are equal in terms of the law, the documentation, and the enforceability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">