• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have to sell my future home?

• Thread starter Sweetedarling2u
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sweetedarling2u

What is the name of your state?Montana

My Great-grandmother left me her house and land in her will. Currently, she is residing in a nursing home due to the fact that she has Alzheimer's/dementia. I am currently residing in the aforementioned home, but my mother has power of attorney and sent me a letter stating that she is forced to sell the property to help pay for the cost of my Grandma's care. She also said that the medicare laws have "changed" and they consider the nursing home to be my Grandma's permanent residence due to her mental condition. Therefore, my mother said that she is required to sell all viable assets before medicare will assist. I want to know if there is any way I can retain this property as it was granted to me in the will.

nextwife

It is only your home if it is so willed AND still owned by her when she dies. She is still alive and needs care. The care must be paid for, and her home is an asset that is available to pay for it.

Her getting good care is a more primary concern than you getting a free house. Something's gotta give.

Buy it for yourself, and then the money can be used for her care, and you can stay there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">