• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a different lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rasluk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? florida

can a lawyer who practices workers comp and family law represent me in a civil case involving injuries sustained in a fall at a business while I was working This case has escalated from a Workers comp claim and civil suit to a second comp claim resulting from injuries sustained from first accident loss of career, house , disabled , and unable to find work due to medications and medical limitations posted full story once I must have done something wrong or it was to long didnt show up

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A couple of things:

1.) This is not an attorney referral service; however, if you look at the top of the screen there is a Find a Lawyer section where you can look for someone to talk to about your situation.

2.) Except in VERY limited circumstances, workers comp is your SOLE remedy for a work related injury. If, for example, you were injured at work because a piece of machinery had a design flaw, then you MIGHT be able to sue the manufacturer of the machine. But it is VERY rare that you are able to sue your employer over a workers comp claim. If you are having difficulty finding an attorney, it may be because you do not have a case.

R

rasluk

Read it again

Florida

My original post does not ask for, nor would I consider any advice or recommendation in the selection of an attorney based on information from a forum
Neither does it ask whether I am able to sue my employer over a workers comp claim
I am asking whether an attorney who practices workers comp and family law, legally allowed to represent me in a civil suit?

Let’s examine my original post
Can a lawyer (is a lawyer able) who practices workers comp and family law represent me in a civil case involving injuries sustained in a fall, at a business, while I was working (it does not ask whether I am able to sue my employer)

I already have a lawyer handling a workers comp case that resulted from, injuries received in a previous workers comp case, which required a civil suit to be filed against a business (not my employer) that caused the accident and subsequent injuries. The original workers comp carrier required that the civil suit be filed and placed a lean on the eventual settlement to recover their expenses

Therefore I must have a case since I already have an attorney and I must have one of those “VERY limited circumstances”

The reason I am asking is lately my lawyer has been making mistakes, (similar to yours) filing petition for benefits with wrong workers comp carrier, not completing request such as getting comp carrier to pay for prescriptions so I don’t have to be reimbursed. Getting settlement amounts confused or forgetting what amount I agreed to settle for.

I understand mistakes happen, a busy schedule, etc. But I really can not afford to take the chance of her making any mistakes in the handling of the civil suit. I wanted to find out if she was qualified and allowed to represent me. I was hoping to get the information through this forum I think it might be better to speak to a real attorney

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry if I misread your post. You wouldn't be the first person who asked either of those questions, and that IS what it sounding like you are asking.

I tried to help you to the best of my ability. Since you obviously are unhappy with my help, I won't attempt to do so any more.

BlondiePB

It would be in your best interest to have an attorney that specializes in personal injury to handle the civil suit. This is a personal injury civil suit, right?

R

rasluk

Florida
Yes it is a personal injury civil suit, which is why I was wondering if my lawyer is allowed to practice outside her field of specialization which is family law.
Either way I will follow your advice and contact a lawyer the handles personal injury claims. Thank you

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">