• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need lawyer for renter appartment insruance claim after water damage ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike_493

Insurance coverage,

I am from warm contry, and did not know about that water can freez and cause wanter damage. I left all my windows open and turned off the heat, that resulted in big damage for my rent appartement and neighours appartments.

Covered with renter insurance from American Family insurance.

Will I be responsible for any of damage of my personal beloning or the appartment ?

sandyclaus

Insurance coverage,

I am from warm contry, and did not know about that water can freez and cause wanter damage. I left all my windows open and turned off the heat, that resulted in big damage for my rent appartement and neighours appartments.

Covered with renter insurance from American Family insurance.

Will I be responsible for any of damage of my personal beloning or the appartment ?
You may find yourself being held responsible for the damages caused by your leaving all your windows open and turning off the heat. It doesn't matter that you came from a 'warm' country. You will be held to the standards of reasonableness for the country in which your apartment is located. Your not making yourself aware of the proper way of how things are done here won't be a good enough excuse to get out of your liability.

What I'm wondering is how being from a warm country could possibly keep you from realizing that much of the country is suffering extremely cold temperatures right now? It should be painfully obvious that leaving your windows open AND turning off the heat could result in extreme damage from freezing water pipes.

Your insurance company may well reject any claim you try to file based on your negligence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">