• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I still have to pay child support for my deceased husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in California. My husband lived here too. His ex wife and children lived in California when they got divorced and the child support was arranged. His ex and their children currently live in Arkansas.

My husband had two children with his ex. He had to pay $650 a month in child support. Several years ago he got sick which made it hard for him to work. I was fully supporting him and I also started paying his child support.

The other day I was going over some unrelated financial stuff with my friend (who is also my accountant). I had forgotten about the child support until we were looking through statements. It's set up so that the money was automatically transferred once a month to his ex's account. So for the past 4 months it's continued to transfer the money. Given that I don't have a relationship with his children and my husband is no longer here I was going to stop the auto transfers. However my friend was telling me that I may still be on the hook for the payments since I was supporting my husband for several years before he died.

It that true? Do I have to keep paying this? If so how long do I have to pay this for?
Was he ordered to have life insurance until the last child emancipated? If so, then his ESTATE would be responsible. The children will also qualify for death benefits maybe.

No, I owned the house we lived in on my own. His car was sold last year when he was unable to drive and the money went towards medical bills. I already let his ex and children go through his things and take whatever they wanted. I also kept a few things with sentimental value. Since they didn't want all the rest of his things, they were donated when I moved.

PayrollHRGuy

No, I owned the house we lived in on my own. His car was sold last year when he was unable to drive and the money went towards medical bills. I already let his ex and children go through his things and take whatever they wanted. I also kept a few things with sentimental value. Since they didn't want all the rest of his things, they were donated when I moved.
I think you are likely in the clear. And I certainly wouldn't be the one to bring up life insurance if his ex isn't.

When you say you owned the house do you mean your husband never paid for anything related to it.

You may still have to pay child support for your deceased husband. But depending on the circumstances it may be different in California versus Arkansas, so it's best to speak with a lawyer to better understand your situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may still have to pay child support for your deceased husband. But depending on the circumstances it may be different in California versus Arkansas, so it's best to speak with a lawyer to better understand your situation.
The wife is under NO obligation to pay her husband's support payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">