• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does A Cop Have to read you your rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoshuaKendall12

A couple of days ago I was pulled over for a broken Brakelight. WHen I got pulled over the cop said my car smelled like pot. He asked me if I had any on me and if I did to hand it over and make it easy. So I reached in my pocket and handed him what I had, about 1/2 oz. I knew it would be a Misdamenor in my state, plus it would be my first drug charge. He told me to get out of the car. He then said I was under arrest for Posseion of Pot. He handcuffed me and told me to sit down on the ground while me searched my car. After he was done I was taken to jail. But at no point was I ever read my rights. He never said anything like "you have the right to remain silence..."he just said you're under arrest. I asked my mom and she said he may not have to since it was a misdamenor, but I thought cops, by law, had to read you your rights whenever you are arrested. Do they?

L

loku

Rights

They do not have to read you your rights when you are arrested; however if they do not read you your rights, then they can not use any statements you make after the arrest in evidence against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">