• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a Federal judgment have to be domesticated in state Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

While that's true, the wheels of government turn slowly and in most cases the government lags behind technology, sometimes by many years. That lag time between the technology and the laws to restrain the uses of them gives bad actors a window to commit their crimes. People have to keep up with what is going on with technology and take steps themselves to guard against problems, at least to the extend there is something they can do. Unfortunately some of the elderly and people who have mental impairments are less able to do that, which is why so many frauds target those vulnerable populations. I get angry every time a potential vulnerable client comes into the law firm with stories of frauds that have scammed them. I don't typically litigate those, other attorneys in the firm do that, but I do assist when necessary and provide the tax advice on what deductions or credits may be avaiable to the client as a result of the fraud. People defrauding these vulnerable populations deserve more punishment than they typically receive. IMO.
The wheels of government do turn slowly. In the meantime, educating the public about the efforts being made by the government can help.

Of course, the educating must come from reliable sources. Haha.

While that's true, the wheels of government turn slowly and in most cases the government lags behind technology, sometimes by many years. That lag time between the technology and the laws to restrain the uses of them gives bad actors a window to commit their crimes. People have to keep up with what is going on with technology and take steps themselves to guard against problems, at least to the extend there is something they can do. Unfortunately some of the elderly and people who have mental impairments are less able to do that, which is why so many frauds target those vulnerable populations. I get angry every time a potential vulnerable client comes into the law firm with stories of frauds that have scammed them. I don't typically litigate those, other attorneys in the firm do that, but I do assist when necessary and provide the tax advice on what deductions or credits may be avaiable to the client as a result of the fraud. People defrauding these vulnerable populations deserve more punishment than they typically receive. IMO.
The AI can take someone voice and even a video of that person and make it say whatever a hacker wants it to say. There is already a lot of scams without AI in which the hacker will call an elderly person saying that their grandson was kidnapped and for them to travel to Western union to give them money for their release. Now with AI, they can make a audio recording of the person say whatever the scammer wants or even use the deep fake to make a video of the person as well.

The government or other bad actors can use the deep fake technologic to frame anyone they want for any crime they want. They could take a murder off a security Camera and deep fake your face and voice to it in a way that a Jury might buy it as real.

I have also noticed that sometimes law enforcement do not take crimes like this seriously and sometimes will blame the victim. Like saying stuff like "you should have known better or you are stupid for being scammed". Many times things are clear in hindsight vs when you are in the moment.

It also does not help when many legit companies will use Indian call centers which sound identical as the scammer call center. So a person will not know if that phone call is from American express or a scammer's call center.

There are good Samaritans youtubers knowledgeable about computers will sort of hack the scammer's call center and try to alert the Indian police. I wish our own government would take action against these scammers as well. Maybe setup a fund for the victim of fraud and take the money out of what is normally sent to India. To give India an incentive to crack down on these scam call centers pretending to US law enforcement asking people to pay money or go to jail, etc..

quincy

Yes. AI can be used for good or evil. Controlling it will be a challenge.

Good luck with your judgment collection efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">