• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does my ex wife qualify to claim our child on her tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l_x

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

my ex wife have been claiming our child on her tax for the last 3 years. she is the custodian parent and I know I can't claim my child unless she sign me a form first.

my question is, she live with her parents, doesnt pay rent, doesnt buy groceries, doesnt pay utility, but claim as head of household with one dependent...does she qualify?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Remember that she is your X-WIFE.

Now, are YOU paying more than half the support of said child, or are the grandparents covering more than half?

And really, the whole thing is between your X-WIFE and the IRS.

LdiJ

Remember that she is your X-WIFE.

Now, are YOU paying more than half the support of said child, or are the grandparents covering more than half?

And really, the whole thing is between your X-WIFE and the IRS.
It doesn't matter any more whether or not he pays more than half of the child's support. What matters is that the two parents combined provide more than half the child's support, and then the exemption goes to the custodial parent unless form 8332 is signed.

If the two parents combined don't provide more than half of the child's support, then probably the grandparents would be the ones eligible to claim the child.

However, it is possible to have more than two households under the same roof, and therefore more than two heads of household.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, our OP is not privy to the financial arrangements between his ex and his ex in-laws. For example, the parents could be loaning the money to their child (ie: keeping a running balance). If that's the case, then the ex IS providing for the child, just going in to debt doing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">