• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Gone!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL

Knock Knock! Who's there? Tank! Tank who? You're welcome!
Knock Knock! Who's there? Norma Lee. Norma Lee who? Normalee I don't go around knocking on doors, but do you want to buy a set of encyclopedias?
Knock Knock! Who's there ? Chimney. Chiminey who ? Chimney cricket! Have you seen Pinocchio?

Knock Knock! WHO's THERE? Madam! MADAM WHO? Madam foot is caught in the door!

dcatz

Breeze, I understand conversion and know that animals are considered property. It was part of my thinking when suggesting alternatives to court. You've talked about your animals. Rather than tell me what wasn't done, tell the OP what should have been done and start this all over again. I've devoted enough time to it.

I put the fact situation to Animal Control departments in two Maryland counties. After 30 days, they would have issued tags to the OP upon request. Where you want to take it from there, you're free to go. One control officer even gave me his personal telephone number to facilitate new ownership. If you'd like to tell him directly that he done wrong, I'm happy to provide it.

The animal has a new and presumably good home and I have no need to engender further debate in the thread. I have tried to explain that wasn't the reason for the additional post.

ENASNI

dcatz said:
Breeze, I understand conversion and know that animals are considered property. It was part of my thinking when suggesting alternatives to court. You've talked about your animals. Rather than tell me what wasn't done, tell the OP what should have been done and start this all over again. I've devoted enough time to it.

I put the fact situation to Animal Control departments in two Maryland counties. After 30 days, they would have issued tags to the OP upon request. Where you want to take it from there, you're free to go. One control officer even gave me his personal telephone number to facilitate new ownership. If you'd like to tell him directly that he done wrong, I'm happy to provide it.

The animal has a new and presumably good home and I have no need to engender further debate in the thread. I have tried to explain that wasn't the reason for the additional post.

Let me guess... Harvard? Dartmouth?... boy you could have done with a dose of Berkeley.

Love ya! I sure would want you on my side :)

weenor

dcatz said:

dcatz- I know we lawyer types like to be right or least perceived right and I also know how difficult it can be to communicate your point in these darn posts....your doing fine, but I sense a little sensitivity here...apparently you don't practice in federal court much...I am idiot to one federal judge or another at least once a month! You should try it;)

dcatz

weenor, I understand what you're saying - honestly. And I hope sometimes that I can make a contribution. If I don't feel that I have anything to add, I don't jump into a post. But sensitvity really isn't a concern. After 30 years of litigation, I don't feel a need to prove myself by another "skin on the wall" or by validation here. I started posting here because I thought that, with my experience, I could make somethings easier for people who seemed to want help in sorting through problems. If someone thinks "you're doing fine" or acknowledges that they've been helped, that's satisfying. After 30 years of tangling with judges and getting my own "bad decisions", anything here rolls off my back, and time spent here is time taken from other volunteer efforts where gratification can be immediate.

ENASNI is right and wrong too. I'm a product of the UC system and the closest to Harvard is a short advanced study with their Advanced Negotiation Project, when it was the #1 ADR center in the country. Now that's Pepperdine in Malibu, which makes things easier. But it has been pointed out to me recently that I seem to be adverse to smiley faces (true) and now knock knock jokes. I didn't realize that was part of the equation for people looking for help, and it makes me wonder whether volunteer time couldn't be better spent elsewhere.

And yes, I sometimes give short shrift to comments such as made by Blonde Lebinese or Breeze, but there are an equal number of times that I've agreed with and supported them. Both are well-informed senior members. I have no vested interest in the OP adopting or rejecting my advice but let me explain the consequences in my state of someone treating Fido as abandoned property, like pieces of luggage left on your lawn overnight.

If you believe that it has a value of $100 or more, you turn it over to the local police, fill out some forms and leave the property with them to try for 90 days to find the owner. If the value of the property is $250 or more, there's a requirement for the police to publish notice in a newspaper of general circulation for another 7 days. If the value of the property is $250 or less, the original finder can make valid claim for title after 90 days. Then you're not guilty of conversion

If the "property" is an animal abandoned to a vet, kennel or animal hospital and is not picked up within 14 days of the date due, the custodian is to spend 10 days trying to find a new owner and, if unsuccessful, is directed to "humanely destroy the abandoned animal."

Those are the "rules and procedures" for my state. What if there is something similar in Maryland? Should I have explained to the OP that animals are property and that taking and retaining custody and control of someone else's property can expose you to liability for conversion? Was the correct response "you should have turned it over to the police or risk being sued for conversion"?

I'll take a show of hands:
How many think that within two weeks, Fido would be the station house mascot and the duty officer would be walking him and cleaning up "accidents"?
How many think Fido would have been turned over to Animal Control and euthanized?
Because one of those is going to be the result of following the "rules and procedures" with regard to abandoned property in my state.

ENASNI - maybe not knock knock jokes, but point taken. weenor - your point too. Maybe these posts are not as significant as they purport to be and more time in court or somewhere is time better spent.

Last edited:

weenor

dcatz said:
weenor, I understand what you're saying - honestly. And I hope sometimes that I can make a contribution. If I don't feel that I have anything to add, I don't jump into a post. But sensitvity really isn't a concern. After 30 years of litigation, I don't feel a need to prove myself by another "skin on the wall" or by validation here. I started posting here because I thought that, with my experience, I could make somethings easier for people who seemed to want help in sorting through problems. If someone thinks "you're doing fine" or acknowledges that they've been helped, that's satisfying. After 30 years of tangling with judges and getting my own "bad decisions", anything here rolls off my back, and time spent here is time taken from other volunteer efforts where gratification can be immediate.

ENASNI is right and wrong too. I'm a product of the UC system and the closest to Harvard is a short advanced study with their Advanced Negotiation Project, when it was the #1 ADR center in the country. Now that's Pepperdine in Malibu, which makes things easier. But it has been pointed out to me recently that I seem to be adverse to smiley faces (true) and now knock knock jokes. I didn't realize that was part of the equation for people looking for help, and it makes me wonder whether volunteer time couldn't be better spent elsewhere.

And yes, I sometimes give short shrift to comments such as made by Blonde Lebinese or Breeze, but there are an equal number of times that I've agreed with and supported them. Both are well-informed senior members. I have no vested interest in the OP adopting or rejecting my advice but let me explain the consequences in my state of someone treating Fido as abandoned property, like pieces of luggage left on your lawn overnight.

If you believe that it has a value of $100 or more, you turn it over to the local police, fill out some forms and leave the property with them to try for 90 days to find the owner. If the value of the property is $250 or more, there's a requirement for the police to publish notice in a newspaper of general circulation for another 7 days. If the value of the property is $250 or less, the original finder can make valid claim for title after 90 days. Then you're not guilty of conversion

If the "property" is an animal abandoned to a vet, kennel or animal hospital and is not picked up within 14 days of the date due, the custodian is to spend 10 days trying to find a new owner and, if unsuccessful, is directed to "humanely destroy the abandoned animal."

Those are the "rules and procedures" for my state. What if there is something similar in Maryland? Should I have explained to the OP that animals are property and that taking and retaining custody and control of someone else's property can expose you to liability for conversion? Was the correct response "you should have turned it over to the police or risk being sued for conversion"?

How many think that within two weeks, Fido would be the station house mascot and the duty officer would be walking him and cleaning up "accidents"?
How many think Fido would have been turned over to Animal Control and euthanized?
Because one of those is going to be the result of following the "rules and procedures" with regard to abandoned property in my state.

ENASNI - maybe not knock knock jokes, but point taken. weenor - your point too. Maybe these posts are not as significant as they purport to be and more time in court or somewhere is time better spent.

I'm with you I like to help to and sometimes I am a little to quick and don't explain enough and sometimes I'm wrong (I try not to be, but as you know there's a lot of gray in the law).. whatever...some of this is about having a good time too...BL, Enansni, Shay, Bay, and especially IAAL- just name a few (I know I'm leaving some of you out- sorry) provide a lot of entertainment.

BL

dcatz said:

We are NOt debating . We give opinions . If the original poster cares to reject or eccept them , that's their choice .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com

ENASNI

SHUT UP SIR BLONDE! :D

A lot of us Senior members (myself included) should be retired.

Who says just because we have posted a bunch of times that we have anything to say?

Look at our politicians!!! I mean the fresh faced kids out there with the real feelings in their hearts could do better than what we have.

I am getting much more cynical in my "senior" stage...

And using "..." a heckfire more... ... ...
I mean Holy Moly and his Cousin Crimoly... I am going INSANE!!!!

I think Dcatz is one of the best contributers here, up there with divgradcurl,cbg and Beth& Patty...I know there are more but , well I left my speech in my other dress. :eek:

Oh... badapple... yeah he is good.

Gotta go, new coffee in the break-room. I don't want to be the one to have to make the fresh pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">