• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dogs pushing/tearing down fence? My responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrankJr

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

We just moved into our home last year. Recently, I've had to deal with dogs on both sides of me (behind me is a field) who have pushed and tore up part of the fence that joins our lots together. If the fence is pushed in or one of the boards comes off, I don't mind nailing it back in and fixing it. Lately though, one dog has complete dug enough underneath part of the fence and broke a board in half. Also, I have half of a panel down from dogs pushing against it and breaking it off. I no longer feel that it is my responsibility to ensure their dogs stay in their own yards. If I had a dog and I didn't want it invading and disturbing my neighbor, I'd do something about it. I guess some people just don't care.

Any advice?

Last edited:

caslerst

Have you talked to the dogs owners? That's the politically correct way to go.

I don't know what your states laws are but if a dog is able to tear down the fence it's either a huge dog or an old fence. If it's an old fence that could limit your options if the dog gets into your yard, I don't know.

But, as far as I know, if the dog is on your property you can do pretty much whatever you want. Call animal control and let them take the dog and ticket the owner, or shoot it if it tries to bite you.

FrankJr

The neighbors are aware that their dogs can get into my yard and tear up the fence. By putting up barriers between the dogs and the fence would be the first clue. One of the dogs was a pretty good size dog, which made me more furious to the fact that part of the fence was damaged.

I had one of the dogs come into my yard on a Sunday and called animal control and they said they don't take calls on Sunday! I said "then don't freakin answer the phone!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">