• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Assault in Missouri II

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aetherc

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I sent a request to this forum last month in regards to myself being the victim of a Domestic Assault by an ex live in girlfriend. Yesterday I received what appeared to be a postcard in the mail requesting me to be in court tonight (12/05/02) to testify as a witness on behalf of the city. I don't understand this at all I am not the one pressing the charges and I do not want to testify against her. She has since not bothered me and not threatened me since I have taken the advice you have given me before and it has somewhat worked. They would not issue an order of protection though. She does not contact me anymore and I don't want to testify. If they wanted me to testify against her wouldn't the prosecutor have contact me prior to this receipt of the postcard. I don't know what to do about all of this. I called the court office and they said that he only comes in an hour before court. Please I do not want to be around her and do not wish to testify against her.

A

aahlee

you never know, maybe the next person she assults might not be alive to testify against her.

time to put an end to this loser of a woman.

calatty

You are required to obey a subpoena to testify, but it does not sound like this postcard is a subpoena. Is it a court document ordering you to appear? If not, you may be free to ignore it. It is the state, not the victim, that presses criminal charges.

A

aetherc

I really don't want to testify against her. I am frightened to even be in the same room as her. Why wasn't I notified of this prior than to one day before please help?

A

aetherc

It was a postcard from the Municipal court stating that I was hereby notified to be there. Why was I not notified of this sooner so that I could have a chance to talk with the prosecutor?

A

aetherc

Beth3 are you out there with any advice for me on this?:confused:

stephenk

if you dont show up, the case may be continued so that the prosecutor can subpoena you to show up the next time. if you then ignore the subpoena, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. I know you are the victim, but you did report the assault and the state has a duty to charge and prosecute criminals. Your decision to now not wanting to get involved is kind of lame. you wanted the police to help you when she beat you but now you are letting her get away with it.

be a man and do the right thing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think Beth3 must be out somewhere today. She and I post on two other boards besides this one and she hasn't been on any of them all day.

A

aetherc

StephenK I was not the one who called the authorities in this matter. She called them and stated that she was afraid that she would cause more harm that is why they were involved. I did not want them involved at all and that was not my choice sorry I did not make that clear earlier. I am still unsure as to why I have never been questioned on any of this by the prosecution in the case. If they wanted me to testify why would they have not contacted me.

stephenk

they did contact you, but now you dont want to go.

the prosecutor only needs to speak with you for about 15-30 minutes to get your story and tell you what is going to happen. this isnt like television where you are prepared over a period of 2-3 days to give testimony.

C

Caleno

Show up for court, it seems that she is having some difficulties Mentally and somewhat realizes that AS she was the one who called in the first place.

You are a first hand witness to this crime. You should be responsible, show up, state what happened, and help prevent the next from being a victim like you.

1. Advise them when you meet that you are VERY fearful of being in the same room with her.
2. I'm not sure how your state handles things, but iT may be possible she has a medical condition. If this is isolated some judges might be inclined to other avenues of help not punishment.

Look at it this way, you are helping her deal with her dangerous, violent outbursts.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">