• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Violence/Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

My former husband is currently incarcerated in Missouri for battering me. His release date on parole is August 2005. Our daughter is now 16. Neither of us wants any contact with him. We fled to escape. My question is, when I got my divorce in court, the order for child support was reserved. I am struggling, as a lot of single mother's are. I would like financial assistance, but am hesitant to file for it. Can he be ordered to pay support without being granted visitation rights? She refuses to see him; we previously had a restraining order. I worry about antagonizing him, yet am looking at college tuition and such as well to be paid for by me alone beyond her 18th birthday...Do I need an attorney to go back to court and put the reserve order into effect? Please advise. I need the financial help, but on the other hand worry the price for it may be too high-I am speaking figuratively rather than literally here. Thank you.

LdiJ

FordellCastle said:
What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

My former husband is currently incarcerated in Missouri for battering me. His release date on parole is August 2005. Our daughter is now 16. Neither of us wants any contact with him. We fled to escape. My question is, when I got my divorce in court, the order for child support was reserved. I am struggling, as a lot of single mother's are. I would like financial assistance, but am hesitant to file for it. Can he be ordered to pay support without being granted visitation rights? She refuses to see him; we previously had a restraining order. I worry about antagonizing him, yet am looking at college tuition and such as well to be paid for by me alone beyond her 18th birthday...Do I need an attorney to go back to court and put the reserve order into effect? Please advise. I need the financial help, but on the other hand worry the price for it may be too high-I am speaking figuratively rather than literally here. Thank you.
I think that the price that you may have to pay for the financial help isn't worth the risk. In addition....how much do you really think he is going to be able to earn after being incarcerated? You may not be able to get more than a couple of hundred dollars a month...and even that isn't guaranteed. Is it really worth the risk?

Thank you for your replies. I know single fathers often struggle, too. I worry about failing her in some way, and do my best to provide all I can for us. You are correct-he is too dangerous to deal with, and it will only anger and antagonize him. He would make me walk through hell for every cent, and he can afford attorneys I could not begin to match (lack of money is not a problem for him-quite the contrary). I walked away with nothing but my daughter and my life. I considered myself lucky to get that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">