• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Uninsured Car But I'm not the Owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torid1200

What is the name of your state?
Illinois

I was driving my boyfriends car recently, I didn't have my drivers license on me. I was pulled over the cop asked for the usual I told him I didn't have it, but then when he asked for insurance, I showed him the information in the glove compartment. My boyfriend was insured but on another car, he had just purchases the one I was driving. He gave me 2 tickets and gave me a i-bond due to no insurance and no drivers license. I don't owe a car anymore. I don't have insurance. My driving record is clean til now,my court date is soon I don't know what to do they are telling me i'll be fined $500 and my license suspended is there anyway to avoid this. Especially my license being suspended.

Lynx 36

torid1200 said:
Illinois

I was driving my boyfriends car recently, I didn't have my drivers license on me. I was pulled over the cop asked for the usual I told him I didn't have it, but then when he asked for insurance, I showed him the information in the glove compartment. My boyfriend was insured but on another car, he had just purchases the one I was driving. He gave me 2 tickets and gave me a i-bond due to no insurance and no drivers license. I don't owe a car anymore. I don't have insurance. My driving record is clean til now,my court date is soon I don't know what to do they are telling me i'll be fined $500 and my license suspended is there anyway to avoid this. Especially my license being suspended.
I don't see how you can get out of it. It is what it is.

Indiana Filer

torid1200 said:
Illinois

I was driving my boyfriends car recently, I didn't have my drivers license on me. I was pulled over the cop asked for the usual I told him I didn't have it, but then when he asked for insurance, I showed him the information in the glove compartment. My boyfriend was insured but on another car, he had just purchases the one I was driving. .
Have your boyfriend talk to his insurance agency, and see if he can get a copy of their policy on coverage of new vehicle purchases.

My car insurance (American Family) will cover a new vehicle for 30 days after purchase even if I haven't come into the office yet to officially put the car onto our policy. I've replaced three cars in the past year, and each one was automatically covered upon purchase.

The reason for this policy is to give the purchser time to receive the title paperwork from the dealership or the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">