• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without insurance ticket from accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blb78

Hi.
State of IL.
I was hit 3 times by a driver at a high school who was backing out of a parking spot. He’s a student there. He left the scene. School has video and officer did the report. Witnesses confirmed his fault.
Student/parents of the driver for 2 weeks refused to prove officer with insurance. Police finally wrote driver a no insurance ticket and finished report. The ticket also states it was issued as part of an accident.
I plan on attending court as a witness and if family is providing proof of insurance at that time, I plan to show accident report and ask judge for a copy of the insurance.
Would a judge honor my request if I show the report?
Is there any way the family can not appear and respond online?

quincy

Hi.
State of IL.
I was hit 3 times by a driver at a high school who was backing out of a parking spot. He’s a student there. He left the scene. School has video and officer did the report. Witnesses confirmed his fault.
Student/parents of the driver for 2 weeks refused to prove officer with insurance. Police finally wrote driver a no insurance ticket and finished report. The ticket also states it was issued as part of an accident.
I plan on attending court as a witness and if family is providing proof of insurance at that time, I plan to show accident report and ask judge for a copy of the insurance.
Do you have a copy of the ticket? If so, you know the name of the student driver (or parent) and can sue the student driver/parent. IF the student driver/parent has insurance, they will turn the matter over to their insurer.

If you have car insurance, you can simply turn the matter over to your insurer to handle.

I don’t see that you have any need to sit in a courtroom.

zddoodah

Answering your questions will require familiarity with the standards and procedures of the unknown courthouse where this matter will be handled.

I was hit 3 times by a driver at a high school who was backing out of a parking spot.
You were hit? Or your car was hit? If the latter, why not simply have your insurance company handle this?

Have you been asked to appear as a witness? If so, discuss this with the prosecutor who requested your attendance. If not, whether the court will entertain some random person in the gallery standing up and asking for copies of documents is anyone's guess.

Heck if I know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ticketed driver could simply show up at the courthouse and present proof of insurance and have that ticket discharged. That's how it works where I live, but procedures may be different where you are,

quincy

In Illinois, a driver who is cited for driving without insurance can have the no-insurance ticket dismissed if the driver provides the court with proof that the car was insured and in effect at the time.

A driver cited for the first time for driving without insurance can be fined up to $1000, and the drivers license and registration can be suspended for 3 months, and the driver could be held liable for the other driver’s medical and car repair costs.

If blb78 is being called by the prosecutor as a witness in the case, the prosecutor can obtain the insurance information for blb78.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">