• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug store mix up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Washington

I’ve been getting my meds at prominent drug store. However a few days ago, they switch up my medicine with a pill that looks almost identical to the medication I have been receiving. However. I’m deathly allergic to this medication, I woke up with a rash that got worse. I called a different drug store and told them my symptoms, and the girl pharmacist said I was in anaphylacxis and to go to the er . I had to have multiple shot of epi. I’m fine. Now other than a higher resting heat rate. I know a guy in law school. He say I have no case due to no long lasting debilitation.

Last edited:

quincy

Washington

I’ve been getting my meds at prominent drug store. However a few days ago, they switch up my medicine with a pill that looks almost identical to the medication I have been receiving. However. I’m deathly allergic to this medication, I woke up with a rash that got worse. I called a different drug store and told them my symptoms, and the girl pharmacist said I was in anaphylacxis and to go to the er . I had to have multiple shot of epi. I’m fine. Now other than a higher resting heat rate. I know a guy in law school. He say I have no case due to no long lasting debilitation.
Your friend in law school is incorrect. You appear to have a good case against the pharmacy/pharmacist. The pharmacist made a dangerous error in filling your prescription and should, at the very least, be held liable for your medical expenses.

You should keep the medication you were given in error and take it with you, along with your prescribed medication, when you consult with a med-mal lawyer. The first consultation should be free.

I am glad you have fully recovered.

Last edited:
Your friend in law school is incorrect. You appear to have a good case against the pharmacy/pharmacist. The pharmacist made a dangerous error in filling your prescription and should, at the very least, be held liable for your medical expenses.

You should keep the medication you were given in error and take it, along with your prescribed medication, with you when you consult with a med-mal lawyer. The first consultation should be free.

I am glad you have fully recovered.
Thank you but. Once I accept the medicine from the pharmacy. It’s my responsibility to make sure the medicine is correct. He’s a second yr so I don’t know how much weight that hold but. Once I leave the pharmacy I accept responsibility. Is that wrong. Also. Is the lawsuit worth it

quincy

Thank you but. Once I accept the medicine from the pharmacy. It’s my responsibility to make sure the medicine is correct. He’s a second yr so I don’t know how much weight that hold but. Once I leave the pharmacy I accept responsibility. Is that wrong. Also. Is the lawsuit worth it
That’s wrong. It is the pharmacist’s duty to provide the correct medication and not the patient’s responsibility to second-guess what medication was provided. Especially with look-alike pills, it is vital that the pharmacist double check the prescription with the medication being dispensed so errors are not made.

That’s wrong. It is the pharmacist’s duty to provide the correct medication and not the patient’s responsibility to second-guess what medication was provided. Especially with look-alike pills, it is vital that the pharmacist double check the prescription with the medication being dispensed so errors are not made.
Thank you. Would it be worth it to look into. Or just a small payment settlement

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Perhaps it would be better to consult with an *actual* lawyer.

quincy

Thank you. Would it be worth it to look into. Or just a small payment settlement
You should speak to a med-mal attorney. The initial consultation should be free. It sounds to me that your medical expenses should be covered by the pharmacy and the pharmacy might offer a figure that exceeds your expenses to settle this outside a courtroom

The pharmacy will probably be looking carefully not only at the pharmacist who made the mistake but also at how the pharmacy is operating as a whole that could allow for such an error.

I agree with stealth. You probably should not be seeking legal advice from your law-student friend.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
At the very least a complaint should be filed.
Washington Health Complaint FAQS

I was in anaphylacxis and to go to the er . I had to have multiple shot of epi. I’m fine. Now other than a higher resting heat rate.
Um, that's not "fine", that's a consequence. Will this have a long term negative consequence on your health? I don't know; I'm not a MD.

I do know that occasionally allergic reactions to drugs kill people.

Were you aware that you had an allergy?

I know a guy in law school.
Would you have a second year med student do [choice of complicated specialized surgery] on you? No.

Go get an initial consult with a real lawyer. Also, inform your insurance provider. All costs related to your trip to the er and post discharge treatment should be considered in determining whether there is a case worth pursuing.

Your guy in a student. He likely knows little about pharmacology and the law.

The onus is on the pharmacy to get the prescription correct and to inform you of potential side effects.

At the very least a complaint should be filed.
Washington Health Complaint FAQS

Um, that's not "fine", that's a consequence. Will this have a long term negative consequence on your health? I don't know; I'm not a MD.

I do know that occasionally allergic reactions to drugs kill people.

Were you aware that you had an allergy?

Would you have a second year med student do [choice of complicated specialized surgery] on you? No.

Go get an initial consult with a real lawyer. Also, inform your insurance provider. All costs related to your trip to the er and post discharge treatment should be considered in determining whether there is a case worth pursuing.

Your guy in a student. He likely knows little about pharmacology and the law.

The onus is on the pharmacy to get the prescription correct and to inform you of potential side effects.
Yes. It’s on my drug profile since 2008. That I’m allergic to this medication. But the pills look sort of similar. An easy mistake unless you look close. A little change in color and letter written in the pill

quincy

It could help the attorney to have a copy of your medical records and the report from the ER.

Look-alike pills and pills with similar names can be a problem. It is amazing how many real pills closely resemble other real pills. The differences between these sound-alikes, look-alikes can be fatal if incorrectly prescribed.

Exactly. My throat. Stayed to close. I never had a problem with breathing because I was so proactive about getting to the hospital because of the 24 hr pharmacy at cvs. A different drug store than the one I picked it up from

quincy

Exactly. My throat. Stayed to close. I never had a problem with breathing because I was so proactive about getting to the hospital because of the 24 hr pharmacy at cvs. A different drug store than the one I picked it up from
I am glad the ER waa able to recognize you were having an allergic-reaction and worked quickly to get you stabilized. Have you thought of carrying an epipen with you - or are these exposures and reactions for you rare?

quincy

Yes cvs. And the er were completely fantastic. I’ve never had a need for one , I always avoid the things I’m allergic to.
That’s a good way to operate, if you are easily able to avoid your allergens ... and don’t have a pharmacist handing it to you. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">