• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Durable Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susan Murray

I have Durable Power of Attorney for my mom who's in a nursing home. The document was signed, dated & notarized on April 15, 1999. On January 28, 2000, I got married & changed my last name and address. In October of 2000, we transferred her to a better nursing home.

In the first paragraph of the POA document, her former address is shown as well as my former last name & address.

My question: Is there a legal way to add an addendum to update the info or can I just change the information & reprint the first page? (Obviously, I have the file on my computer.) ...or do we have to sign, date & notarize a new form?

Thanks & regards,

Susan Murray

ALawyer

IF she is still mentally competent, you probably would want to get a new one prepared and signed and notarized.

DO NOT mannually change the old one under any circumstances as changes may void it and would raise FAR more questions than they answer.

If there is a question about her competence, or you insist on being penny wise and pound foolish, the old one is still valid despite your new married name and address, but you'd have some explaining to do every time you have to use the old one with someone new. Get a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">