• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI charges - 6 months later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmullen

What is the name of your state? CT

I have a friend that lives in TX. He was involved in a traffic accident with another vehicle in CT at the beginning of Oct. 2005 while on vacation. The only person injured in the accident was himself. He was taken to the hospital and checked out. At that time, he was arrested and charged with reckless driving. He went to court twice to resolve the issue. At which time he was offered excellerated rehabilitation or something like that. He completed all of the necessary paperwork. Last week he received a call from his attorney and was informed that he is to be at his attorney's office on Good Friday so that his attorney can take him to the police station so that the city can issue and charge him with a DWI charge. This will be 6 months and 2 weeks after the fact.

Is this type of delay and practice common in CT? I am suspicious...why would this be happening 6 months later? Do you suppose his attorney made a deal with the prosecutor to give him up to better his career in some way...there is not a doubt in my mind that this happens daily.

Your thoughts please.

gawm

How would "giving up" a client to a prosecutor better the defense attorneys career in anyway?

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

A criminal defense attorney betters his career by keeping clients out of jail, not losing. The attorney is offering his client a chance to be booked under the best circumstances. He will not stay in jail long and chances are the attorney will begin the next phase of his defense.

Your friend probably had blood drawn at the ER, the resulting tests of which eventually ended up as evidence for the DUI. It happens all the time. He or she should work closely with the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">