• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI suspended DL, want a MC permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcubed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am currently serving a 60-day license suspension due to a DWI that is being handled in my state's ARD program. I wanted to know, does said suspension prevent me from applying for and obtaining a motorcycle *learner's permit*?

I see statutes (Ch. 15, sub-chapter A, sec. 1503(a)(1)) that a person with a suspended license isn't allowed to be issued another license, but doesn't restrict the issuance of a permit.

sec. 1505 covers learners' permits, and while 1505(c) states:
Operation of motorcycle.--A motorcycle learner's permit entitles the person to whom it is issued to operate a motorcycle only between sunrise and sunset and, except for a driver licensed to drive another class of vehicle, only while under the instruction and immediate supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator. Motorcycle learners shall not carry any passenger other than an instructor properly licensed to operate a motorcycle.
I wouldn't think the bolded part to be in effect, as--although my license is under suspension, it'd be incorrect to say I'm "not licensed."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">