• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E-Bay Stolen Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dreher

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I purchased $1200 worth of used car parts on Ebay (doors for a Jeep Wranger). The police in my town contacted me because they were contacted by the police in Arkansas. They suspect that the doors that I bought are stolen. My local police inspected my doors and discovered that the serial numbers on the doors have been obliterated. No one can prove it but it looks like these are the doors that were stolen in Arkansas.
Do I have to return the doors to the rightful owner?
If so, it looks to me like all it does is replace one victim with another.

Son of Slam

Dreher said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I purchased $1200 worth of used car parts on Ebay (doors for a Jeep Wranger). The police in my town contacted me because they were contacted by the police in Arkansas. They suspect that the doors that I bought are stolen. My local police inspected my doors and discovered that the serial numbers on the doors have been obliterated. No one can prove it but it looks like these are the doors that were stolen in Arkansas.
If so, it looks to me like all it does is replace one victim with another.

If no one can prove it, why would you have to give them back?
You pays your money and you takes your chances.

AmosMoses

Dreher,

I am directly quoting you here:

The last two words of that sentence, your own words, mind you, furnish your own answer as to what I think you SHOULD do. I am not saying that you should not seek recompense at all, and in fact I would say the opposite if practical, but if you know those doors belong to someone else, don't you think you should return them? I may be wrong here, it's simply what I would do. Good luck either way!

D

Dreher

My local police dept told me that the 'rightful owner' by this time most likely filed a claim on his car insurance for these doors and has been compensated. Returning the doors would result a windfall to that person (gets doors back AND keeps a check from the insurance company) and I am out $1200.

djohnson

Chances are he wouldn't get to keep that 1200.00 as then insurance would want their money back and would only pay if they are damaged in some one then he would be out money if he has already purchased another pair. The legal thing is obvious her and I think you know that as you are actually guilty or receiving and concealing stolen goods at this point but the right thing has lots of downfalls and not just for you.

AmosMoses

I would give them back, and I would not concern myself who else other than me could or would "likely" get any "windfall"...if you want someone to advise you to go ahead and keep 'em, it'll have to be someone other than me. Of course, what do I know? I am just saying what I think is the right thing to do.

T

thays2000

i guess i will be the one to tell you to keep them!!!!!!!

if anyone suffered the loss of those doors the insurance company has allready rectified the situation(so there is no actual loss,only to ins. co.) you have purchased the doors with legal money and in good faith to be tangible property. unless the doors are seized by local police,the only person to be held accountable and lose sleep at night would be the gentleman who sold the goods knowing they were stolen.

feel free to voice your opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">